Old phone to media center help me out (android TV)

Hello everyone,

I’ve got an old rooted LG G3 laying around running android 6.0 and i’ve got a nice setup in my living room.
my girlfriend often watch netflix (giggedy) and when company is over the sound system is always running.

However all that is running from my pc trough HDMI and i-am kinda sick of it.
I want a dedicated media system to safe on power and annoyance.
so i bought a Displaylink adapter for the phone.

that means i can now connect the LG G3 to my tv via HDMI and optionally connect the surround system trough 3.5mm jack.
Saving a lot LOT of energy when i just want to listen to music. (The pc, 3 monitors, tv and peripherals can be turned off saving hundreds of watts )

Now i’ve got the PLEX app on the phone and Netflix both of wich i want to use ofcourse and also youtube.
I can connect a Bluetooth keyboard/mouse to the phone for controls.

But now the important question:
Wich damm tv launcher works on a mobile phone?
The screen has to always be on landscape mode and navigating should be easy with a keyboard.

right now it’s just not intuitive.

what tips/tricks have you guys got for me and what software/launchers do you suggest.

Get a chromecast, all your problems will be solved.

1 Like

NO. I will not.

Why? It’s ten times more elegant and smooth than your setup.

Many reasons and it’s not what this topic is about.
The chromecast can’t do a shit ton of things a rooted phone can.
And then the TV again has to be on just to listen to some tunes +200 watts

It can cast anything on your phone to the TV, also paired with VLC its superior to any HTPC solution for movie/TV purposes imo.
Just my two C.

Chromecast audio :grin:

two new devices, more stuff to remember, no recycling of perfectly good working equipment and still a shit ton of things i can’t do witch i can with a rooted phone (hooray for tasker).
It’s off the table now please stay on topic.

It’s on topic imo. I’ve been where you are and I’ve rooted tons of android phones for similar purposes.
After trying everything between the sun and the moon I landed on a Rooted Nexus 5 + chromecast.
Anyways I shalln’t push the Google agenda further.

title: “Old phone to media center”

kind of like asking: i’ve got a bicycle, how can i mod it to cycle 20Km’s with ease?
And answer: Just buy a car…

Thank you

" Second screen " looks interesting:

Are you specifically looking for something to change the GUI, or would a better interface method suffice? I have a cheap Android TV box that has a really terrible remote, and while I can connect a keyboard and mouse, it is just terrible to deal with using those devices.

I had found something called Wifi Mouse a few months back which allows me to control the cursor on my HTPC, but it requires a server program which doesn’t work to control an Android device. After some more searching I found something called CetusPlay which has a few different screens with different controls and works pretty well. There is a separate TV remote server app for the device to be controlled. It even has a gamepad mode which does work for navigating some menus.

I’ve only tried the free version with ads, there may be better options, and you might be looking for something different. It still might be worth looking in to something like this to augment your current control scheme.

Did you mean SlimPort? My first SlimPort adapter for my LG G3 sucked really bad, lots of cut out, the second brand did much better but still not 100%. I’ve never heard of a TV launcher till now, thanks for turning me onto that- so obviously can’t offer advice there but having had an LG G3 running for 5 years (thank you LineageOS so much!) IMO:

• Keep cooling in mind, the G3 can be a hot running phone, especially with SlimPort and the charger being plugged in. Do the thermal compound mod (google it) plus figure out a resting place for the G3 that gets airflow over it.

• Nothing to do with your current goal (except to use and maximize only what you got) check out Sentio, take your project to the next level and give your LG G3 a Samsung DEX like feature set.