Old-ish LTO tape drives For backup on a desktop PC

My current setup:

The SAS to SATA adapter that i posted before from amazon does only work with devices that support BOTH SATA and SAS mode and apparently my motherboards/the tape drive dont support this. So i had to shove it into my server because it has the only motherboard with enough pcie lanes to use the pcie to SAS adapter. It worked so far until the tape drive decided that it needs a cleaning tape :sob:. Next thing i will try is using a pcie x1 to pcie x8 riser cable to put it back into a desktop pc because the current setup is not ideal. And for some reason there are no pcie x1 to sas adapters available.

2 Likes

interesting dude thanks for posting!

that depends a lot on controlling temperature and avoiding excessive exposure to sunlight.
polycarbonite plastics are very durable and the foil medium when kept from excessive heat and abrasion can last a whole lot longer
cd’s ,dvd’s, blue ray, and the ls120 super disks ( short lived production) were all optical media
the upside of optical storage is it is not affected by emi.

But is the big word here! Who thinks about temperature control for data storage media?
magnetic media (tapes and floppies) can and does degrade over time as magnetic fields can weaken.
for long term cold storage they must be isolated from other media and shielded from emi.
a safe is usually a good emi shield.

tape drives were wonderful for automated backups but search time was a pain in the butt because the system had to read tape at its standard speed and could not fast forward to a specific data point. and tape was very susceptible to wear and tearing due to crud buildup on the read write heads.
while there were a few ide based tape drives the largest majority were scsi requiring an scsi interface card and pre boot configuration before the os could even load.
tape drives were standard for reliable if not expensive backup solutions but quite frankly today unless your tape can handle terabytes of data it an excessively expensive endeavor
cold storage as you are describing?
simple answer
dual layer dvd or blueray in clean well padded sleeves and relatively stable temperature should last 50 or more years.
the downside of long term cold storage is technology will far exceed the need!

1 Like

I used to use old tower and install a single small hdd with os for controlling multiple optical drives
I would build them for print shop productions ( for example had print shop deluxe in it master and art disks in 2 or 3 other optical drives)
others i built for data transfer purposes optical drives to copy and burn new disks, transfer from media types to another. backup purposes and the like.
Its not hard and you don’t need the latest or greatest for that purpose.
the greatest part of doing it this way is these old systems can be networked together as hard core data server (prime example was one in our local courthouse handled the entire law library and recordes, ( a series of six “servers” built from old towers) served for many years

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.