Old computer safety questions

I’m just going to be honest here,

My problem is I am! its very jank! I have just been nuking my drive if the system ever starts acting up. The problem child has been my printer. Anytime I leave it connected to the network I start getting strange things happening. I updated the firmware and that helped but I still believe it is a source of trouble. (I have trust issues)

For a while after I got my logi keyboard and mouse I was having some real issues. Didn’t know if it was the Logi software or my mobo. (Supposedly Asus was having issues waking up after going into “sleep mode”) It still has it’s issues so I try to always put it to sleep rather than let it fall asleep. Main reason I have been wanting another mobo

The system in reference is:
Asus x570-P
Ryzen 5 3600 (non-x)
Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 ssd 1TB
32gb DDR4-3600 cl16-16-16-36
Radeon 5700xt 50th Ann
750w Thermaltake Tough Power GF1
Phanteks P600 case
Windows 10 Pro

I want a proper network but I can’t decide where to start. We did discuss this on the forum a couple of years ago. Ya’ll told me to get a Netgate. I was having physical security issues here at my home. I ended-up disabling all Wifi to keep people from steal it. Ya’ll gave me some great advice on how to secure the modem/router. Haven’t had issues since. (I get a lot of "you still have internet?? no you don’t!!! from my neighbors) My security camera game is non-existent still.

I wonder if I could mine some coin with this 5700xt to pay for hardware upgrades?

How would you suggest for me to start learning Linux? I catch myself thinking I know something just because I was exposed to it decades ago. When I really need to just start completely over.

The old Celeron eMachine appears to be only good for a PC case. It will boot but windows xp will never open. All 128mb of ram and 1.4Ghz of Celeron power!! It would have been nice to see what was on the hard drive… I believe the hard drive has failed… Oh well!

That is as far back as I’m going, I’m not going to pull out the older machine.

I’ve got a similar era AM2 system (Phenom 2, DDR2) and have kitted it out with 4 optical drives and it can digitize a CD collection reasonably quickly. (open 4 terminal windows) and use abcde command pointing to a different device in each window.

mining on a single gpu? pretty much pointless.
if your gonna consider mining buy an asic intel will be releasing one soon.

the printer? block spooler.sys from internet access. or connect the printer to a machine thats behind your firewall and access it through the lan only. if it cant be seen it cant be hacked. also turn the print spooler off on your internet facing machine.

Sorry for the late reply, thank you.