Old Android Phones

I have a few old android phones lying around and am looking for something to do with them. So what projects have you done with your old android devices?

See if you can put a custom ROM on them. That way they may have some life left in them still.

6 Likes

My only “Project” was installing NetHunter. But you can use them as alternatives to IP cameras, I’ve seen an app on F-droid for that. A nanny-cam!

Ive done this, Currently I have android N running on my old Galaxy S4. I’m not really looking to bring them back to life as a phone but to re-purpose them.

Unfortunately I do not have any phones compatible with net hunter. Do you know what the IP camera app in f-droid is called?

1 Like

FTP Server, Signal Fuzzer, Man in the Middle Bot, Bluejacking, Wifi lockouts.

Theres all sorts you can do just google around.

1 Like

signal fuzzer? How?

Theres tools for it in fdroid. If you look you’ll find them.

After looking for a bit with nothing coming up, I think Endoscope might work. It’s LAN only, but some port forwarding may make it WAN capable.

Thought about doing this to the drawer I have of old/broken phones

Ahhhh. I still use my S3 as my main phone,and you consider S4 old lul. You can make an portable retro emulator/console out of it tho.

3 Likes

This was a plot point in Eyeshield 21.

One of the characters takes a box of old phones for recycling and sets up a network of cameras to make a giant blackmail master list.

I wouldn’t do it, but it’s a cool idea.

I repurposed my old Nexus 5 to be a full time chromecast control device. It’s running Lineage OS, smooth as butter.

2 Likes

Yeah boi. I am running a Note 2. Just got the screen “fixed”, put a new oled and glass in, the backlight does some freaky noise thing on wake for about a minute. And the bottom on the screen no longer reacts to the Spen.
Otherwise fully working, still on old known good android 4.4.4 to get it up and running. But soon will try out newer ones to see what’s up. The phone is currently over clocked and under volted on both CPU and GPU, battery lasts for days of work use. Wonderful old phone.

My S3 is shitting itself every 4-5 months and I need to reinstall android every time. 832 mb of RAM FTW.

1 Like

Before my Samsung Galaxy S4 died I was going to make it a dash cam. I was going have It mounted on my dash using a dash mount. It has full 1080p at 60FPS. So if any old phones still work. There is an idea.

3 Likes

Mine monero

I still use my Note 3 as I can’t afford to upgrade just yet. Plus it’s working quite fine still even if it’s only running Android 5.0. I would like to upgrade to a newer version of Android but have no idea how to do it. Anyone able to help out?

I got this Blackberry and it’s not bad. Physical keyboard, removable battery, 5 day battery life, Android virtualisation layer (doesn’t always work though), still getting OS updates after 5 years. Not bad at all.
https://www.gsmarena.com/blackberry_q10-5274.php

Believe me this phone has features that new iPhones and samsungs don’t. I can replace the sim-card without using a fucking needle and I got a 3.5mm audio jack. XD

2 Likes

Here is all you need to know about installing custom roms.