Okay, so, remember last year(and all the other threads I've made)?

Well, if you don’t I’ve literally posted a dozen plus PC build threads since like 2012/2013. Back when this was still you know what and you know who were still speaking.

Anyway. THIS YEAR is actually different. I am studiously saving up money for my birthday, on which day, I will make a parts list and order it.

So far, my plan is to replace my current on life support crapbox with a simple R5 2400g ITX rig and go from there. I want to pair that with a single 16gb stick of ram, a nice air cooler, chuck it in a Bitfenix Prodigy case, add a modular PSU and try to have the color scheme matching as a plus.

My idea would be to run it like that so I have SOMETHING, then throw a real GPU at it down the road and maybe some more ram. I’m pretty set on this, but I WOULD like some conversation on the merits vs downsides to it.

My main thing is that my current 8-year old modded storebought, is, as I said, on it’s last legs. I’ve gotten it stable in lower end games by cleaning it, lubing the GPU fan, and applying fresh thermal paste, but it still black-screened when I tried to play Fortnite. I’m tired of it and I need and want something new NOW. Hell, I can just about buy the 2400g setup tomorrow if my paycheck is good.

A couple of things to iron out, though. In the end, I want to be able to do 1440p high preset gaming with a synchronized framerate, preferably at a high refresh rate (75hz-100hz plus), possibly in ultrawide format.

Right now, I’ll stick with my 1440x900 19" 75hz monitor out of poverty, but that IS where I want to end up.

So I’ll need a GPU suggestion for the future, as well as if I should stick with 16gb and divide it into two sticks (2 channel is faster???) or have the single 16gb, dealing with the slight neg but with the remaining slot open for an upgrade down the line.

Lastly, I was told last time around that some things will only install and run on the boot drive. My idea is to have an ultra small NVME boot drive so windows and the process being sent out to access everything is super fast. Then a mid size(500gb-1tb) ssd, and a big (2tb-4tb) hard drive.

I really kinda don’t want more than two full size drives in my rig (partly because the prodigy will only fit that many with the cages removed for the GPU to have more room), but, if this statement was true, then it looks like I’ll be starting off with a 1tb SSD, and possibly adding another. (Also heard that windows only accepts 2tb drives or lower and there might be a problem with a larger than 2tb drive, especially as a boot drive)

Anyway, yeah, this was kinda rambled together because I have a million other things on my mind and am about to head out to the gym. I guess I’ll close by saying that this is going to be a general use/media/gaming pc that has a moderate chance of game capture and video editing for youtube and a very slight chance of streaming. My ‘starting point’ budget for the base 2400g setup will be $500-$750. I will be overclocking. And, as I’ve said, I do have a goal of where I want to be ‘end game’ with the full GPU and all that.

So let’s see what this topic nets and if I can somehow change this site’s UI to quit making my eyes freak out and fuzz my mind. Lol.

TL;DR: Haven’t gamed since 2013. Need a new PC now because my 8-year-old one just won’t do it without black screening even after cleaning, lubing, and pasting(and tape mod overclocking). Broke AF, so going with an APU for now. The end goal will be high refresh HDR 1440p, possibly ultrawide, high graphics preset gaming in modern games, as well as media, browsing, and slight-possibly editing/rendering/streaming. I want an ITX build that can house a full size GPU and is ‘future proof’.

EDIT: Almost forgot. Have to meet the thread requirements. I live in Florida of the USA, I prefer Amazon, but will take the best deal as long as the shipping isn’t more than a week, I need headphones, but will worry about that later in a reply since I have to go to the gym, I DO need a copy of windows, and I will NOT be water cooling, f*ck it.

Dual channel for sure if going to be o APU for awhile. GPU no one can say what to get till its the time to pull the trigger.

No need for nvme just stay on an any SSD

Also would suggets a TLDR posted at the bottom with just the meat, no one wants to read rambling that leads to nothing important. Also I would probably go 2200g as gains are minimal

1 Like

you can just say tek syndicate man no one cares

5 Likes

Edited and added a TL:DR. 2400g for better iGPU and more threads for the possibility of the editing/rendering/streaming work the PC may end up doing. It’ll be APU only for at least a few months(up to 6-9), likely until after the next gen GPU’s are out. I wanna (perhaps foolishly) upgrade the monitor first.

Talk to you guys after the gym.

What are your plans? Just play games? 16 is way more than enough… Just get 2X8 and that may help the apu and performance in general…
Now if you plan to do something with that machine, that would require a lot of ram then go for just 1 stick and add another one to have enough ram for your stuff.
But seriously, if you just gaming - get 2x8 and be done…

Nvidia 11 series is just around the corner, AMD 600 series is rumored for next year. So future suggestions are kinda pointless…

You can get cheap freesync monitors that will work with the APU and will help you with under 60fps drops…

I agree with that. 120GB nvme are available for kinda cheap. SX6000 by Adata is the same price as a standard Sata SSD… 240GB SX6000 is similarly priced to other 240 gig drives, but about twice as fast…
Anyways, I would say you don’t really need the huge ssd (1TB) unless you will do work with it. Other than that I don’t really see a reason not to just have a large HDD. The OS and the important software will be on the NVME anyways…
I would say if you can get the Seasonic Focus+ power supply. Seasonic are the best, the focus+ is gold rated unit and have 10 years warranty. Also not as expensive as I would expect for high end gold unit.

Basically TLDR
If you just game I say 2x8 GB ram, NVMe and HDD…
If you actually work and make money with that system - 1x16 (+1x16 later), NVMe, SSD (for work) and HDD…

PS: oh yeah, get fast ram. As fast as you can get your hands on. The apu and the cpu itself benefit a lot from fast ram. Don’t go below 2666…

2 Likes

Edited, added a TL:DR, myself, and made a reply. Thanks for your input so far. I don’t think I’ll work and make money with it, but I kinda think it’d be nice to have as few and as fast drives as possible just to, well, have something nice for once.

SSDs are cheap. You can always add one. The idea of cutting away the ssd is to be able to invest the money in something else, like power supply, better ram, maybe better cooling… Maybe even a monitor…
There are quite a few decent LG ultrawide freesync monitors you can get now, they will work fine with the APU and will help with the lower framerates with the APU by basically shooting out everything…

An ITX system may limit you in later upgrades though…

1 Like

I think it’s more cost efficient to just get a sata ssd instead of nvme

the functional difference is nothing to the average user

1 Like

HOW DARE YOU!!! lol

5 Likes

Seriously, why wouldn’t he just get the faster one if it’s the same price?

1 Like

An ITX system may limit you in later upgrades though…

How so? Multi GPU is dead and way outta my budget, and 16gb of ram will be fine for the next 3 or 4 years when the standards shift again like they did 3-4 years ago from 4/8/16/32/64/128 to now 8/16/32/64/128 (the tiers being base, advanced, extreme, god, and crazy) And of course, how 3-4 years before that, it was shifted down another step.

As far as I can understand it, as long as the mobo has good sound, the right chipset, good quality, and maybe wifi, there’s nothing ‘limiting’ about it in terms of upgrade path.

yeah 40 bucks aint bad, just meant in general

if theres a sale theres a sale

1 Like

Yep, in general. Because I want a shitload of storage. 300gb on this mofo has almost ALWAYS been full. I think I need 1tb total, minimum. And I don’t want to run into any problems with windows not seeing it, or programs not instlalling to another drive.

This, though. It’s a ‘might as well’ thing.

Pure size restrictions.
You say Bitfenix Prodigy. It’s not the tiniest case, but still have a GPU size limitations. On top of that it doesn’t have the best cooling. The small board additionaly limits your cooling capacity. VRMs aren’t as nice simply cause there’s no room for nicer VRMs.

What board are you looking at anyways?

Don’t know yet. Has to overclock, though. Only reason I wanted ITX was for a physically smaller, neater, cleaner, nicer build. Prodigy has shitty airflow? Nix it.

Guess the build’s wide open now, then. You guys have my list of ‘answers’ for the questionnaire, basic idea and needs, and TL:DR. Go wild. I really need to get to the gym. Procrastinated long enough.

Thanks for the help!

1 Like

Give me color scheme?

Monochrome would be nice. All black, black/white, black/silver, white/black. Other than that, Blue/black, blue/white, etc. Maybe a yellow or orange with black/white/silver, but no sterotypical black and red crap. Too played out. Don’t care about RGB. Shit, I’d prefer plain and to light it myself if I ever want lights.

Thanks.

1 Like

To clarify on the orange/yellow one, it would have to be that perfect on between of the two. Pure yellow looks too bright and gaudy, and pure orange is gross and too close to red. Just saying.

Also, I want super fast ram. Like all the stuff the YouTube 2400g builds suggest. Which, I believe is 3600mhz-4200mhz. Or, at least 3200mhz+ if I recall correctly.

At the gym now. Workout time. Peace. :slight_smile:

single or dual chanel memory shouldnt really matter that much for gaming.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/msCsmq
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2400G 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor ($149.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - MasterLiquid Lite 240 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock - Fatal1ty X470 Gaming-ITX/ac Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($170.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston - Predator 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($228.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: ADATA - XPG SX6000 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($62.99 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Storage: Toshiba - 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($76.89 @ OutletPC)
Case: BitFenix - Prodigy (Black) Mini ITX Tower Case ($69.26 @ B&H)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($65.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Monitor: LG - 24MP59G-P 23.8" 1920x1080 75Hz Monitor ($127.00 @ Amazon)
Total: $997.08
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-07-26 20:11 EDT-0400

Added a couple optional stuff…
So basically under 1K you get the APU with 3600MHz ram (that is inside the QVL so it’s tested and is working).
The motherboard have ALC1220 audio, Intel nic and Intel WiFi, HDMI 2.0 and DisplayPort 1.2… Basically all great things. The only bad thing about it is, the M.2 slot is on the back side.
Since you mentioned OC I gave you a 240mil AIO. The same one, that I run and is keeping my 1700X under 50C during the summer. Still used your preferred case - Bitfenix Prodigy, the model with the mesh front panel, so it have better airflow and better cooling.
I gave you 240GB NVMe and 3TB HDD.
The Seasonic gold rated Focus+ PSU, the one with 10 years warranty. 550W will be more than enough for everything mid range to high end (unless Vega64 or R9 295X2).
I also gave you 24" 75Hz IPS Freesync monitor to help you out with the APU…

If you remove the monitor and the water cooling you will go down to 830$ or something there about.