Oh Shitake, Im almost a Vegan!

If we cheatin… slip me some meat

3 Likes

cauliflower wings are legit tasty. they are grilled cauliflower in bbq or other sauces.

2 Likes

Gave them a try they are pretty good

1 Like

A variant on this

This time I added olive oil that has garlic and crushed red peppers and cayenne in it …

Should turn up the heat. The oil is red hahaha

Made a mess in a hurry. Got work from home stuff to do

3 Likes

Just keep in mind olive oil has a lower smoking temperature, so it can trigger a smoke alarm if used for a prolonged period.

LOL I do it at 425F not 470F

Olive oil smoke point is 470F

1 Like

Yeah, not sure what temp does my hot plate gets to at max, but my olive oil smokes like crazy.
:man_shrugging:

There was discussion previously about seasoning you pots and pans

2 Likes

It doesn’t matter that much what type of diet you choose, but it does matter how much you eat.
A well balanced diet in moderating is by far more healthy than any fad diet.

But all things considered your personal diet needs to be centered around your nutritional needs and any health conditions you have.

So it’s highly recommended that you get with a licensed nutritionist in concurrence with your personal physician.

And for those who want to lose weight, here’s something to consider!

Lose the weight slowly! If you lose it too quickly your body instinctively will want you to gorge and restore the fat levels.

Soft drinks are the weakness of way too many people and it’s damn hard to lose the weight if you don’t get rid of the soft drinks.

If water alone doesn’t suit you add sugar free flavors or infuse it with your favorite fruits.

Anyhow my favorite vegetarian style dish is ratatouille bake (zucchini, yellow squash, eggplant, vegetable stock, cheese ravioli, and portobello mushrooms. )
Simmered until veggies are tender, layered over the cooked ravioli and topped with shredded aged cheddar.
Baked until the cheese melts.

This^

+++

Do not “drink” fruits. That’s a really bad thing people do. Don’t drink smoothies or blends. You wouldn’t be eating 3 apples, 3 bananas and 10 strawberries and a cup of milk, but that’s what you are doing when you blend those together. It’s not healthy! Eat them one by one slowly and stop when you feel full. Drink water in-between each fruit.

Personally, soft drinks was the hardest part to get rid of in my life. Replaced them at first with naturally sweet tea (fruits teas, like raspberry or strawberry tea), unsweetened, then I moved on to harder stuff, like green, black and lots and lots of herbal teas (I make it a very rigid rule-of-thumb to not drink more than 1 green or black tea per day, the rest have to be herbal). I’m used to drinking water now, but if I ever get the same urge of drinking something with a taste, I’m making a tea. When I had that urge, I usually went to sweet drinks, but now I replaced that completely with unsweetened tea. Best decision ever.

I do however miss carbonated drinks, I’m thinking to buy a SodaStream and make carbonated unsweetened tea (I think berry teas would work great if I carbonate and refrigerate them). Also, hail bigclivedotcom for carbonating alcoholic drinks. I don’t drink alcohol, but it was him that gave me the idea to carbonate tea, which I will definitely try at some point next year.

1 Like

infusing water with fruit is completely different than smoothies,
you place the fruit in the water for a few hours and let some of the flavor leech out into the water.
you are not consuming the fruit itself, just the watered down juice.

smoothies however is emulsifying the fruit into the milk.

Oh, so basically, like lemon water or something? Ok, I can get behind that.

The concept is called agua fresca

I’m not vegetarian and will never claim to be. But I can’t help but notice meats seemingly keep going down in quality while prices rocket upward ever since I moved out and started buying my own groceries.

I had a mostly vegetarian diet while I was in college and early in my career. It was primarily to save money but still eat real food. I did still have meat but it was more a treat and it would be something like a hardy stew or stir fry rather than fast food. In that time though, I found out I have difficulty processing soy beans so mostly went with dried black and navy beans for easy protein in various dishes. Would have canned beans sometimes for soups or chili if I needed something quick.

I do still have meatless dishes mostly because I find myself buying less meats but seeking better quality meats.

When I eat meat I go to a local butcher that supports a local farm. Always better I rarely eat meat

Yup same and it’s way cheaper to stay firly meatless

2 Likes

I am not a Vegan but I do eat more vegatables. I eat less meats, and less dairy and am picky about what I do eat. I make everything at home and do not eat out. That said, I love greek yogurt, homemade sausage mushroom soup, fruits and salad with mustard honey and olive oil for dressing . . . a friend seen me put mustard on my salad at work and was like WTF are you doing dude!!!? I like dude! gotta try it! Of course I have lil bits of cheese and turkey and crutons, mushrooms, onions, salad to add. yum. Im weird. I know. Im learning to cook better and am getting a belly finally, after 25 years of >200lbs. sigh. There are hardly any prepackaged box or canned foods in my cabinets. If I want mac n cheese, I get the trader joes stuff that is like a tv dinner but made with 8 real cheeses and real noodles, you get where I am going with this.

I stopped eating that processed stuff. TV dinner isle is always great for dinner ideas, and it helps me when I shop daily for meals, sometimes weekly max. When I shop for the bi weekly thing and do meal prep, I tend to over make stuff and waste food cause it may spoil, or I get sick of what Im eating so much of. Like the potato cheddar broccoli soup. Yea that will be a while before I eat that cause I made so much of it recently I still have 5 lbs in the freezer after a week of it. So small steps, I eat less now, but more often of smaller snacks, being healthy and fresh.

No steak, no eggs, less cheese, less dairy - no milk exchanged for protein silk cashew and almond (chocolate milk sub) yum. … . no tuna fish from a can, things like that. After watching Gordan Ramsey on YT and other chefs, I go to store like BAM … and BAM … and BAM … and people laugh passing by. love it.

Yeah the local butcher is a great source and supports local small business too.

I would like to get back to a more natural way of living. I keep joking about how if prices keep going the way they are, I will either have to go vegetarian again or get a hunter permit and dust off the compound bow…I admit it isn’t as much a joke as my laziness.

I do want to do things like hunting and to build a garden in my backyard again. Mostly to grow hot peppers but also some of the more expensive or harder to find produce. There is a blog on the forum about gardening that is making me think about next spring.

1 Like

On a separate matter, bows are a bit hot now because of the recent incident at europe. Best to stick with your guns.

I had to look that up.

Good lord… what is wrong with this world? :frowning:

unfortunately many idealist consider acts of violence as an effective means of getting their message out regardless of how the message comes across they accomplish the act of getting it heard with the help of rabid newshounds.
but what is to be expected if people are not taught common decency and respect when they are young,

but back to the topic its very rewarding to make good meals from scratch instead of depending on prepackaged and processed foods. ( I think thats why i love cooking and canning so much!)
it feels great to go to my pantry and see the jars of veggies, fruits, and canned meats lined up and ready to go.
and my elderly neighbor appreciated it when i canned veggies for her too.
she sends me trays of cookies and tarts ( sigh!! all very tasty but makes it hell to lose weight :rofl:)

2 Likes