Return to Level1Techs.com

Official Post your PC guts thread!

Lol I wanted to do it that way… alas, the AM4 layout wouldn’t allow it without some Jerry-rigged nonsense (the way the bracket mounts, you can’t without a aftermarket kit). The only thing I could still do is turn it the other way. If you’ve got suggestions, I’m all ears.

Which exact cooler is it? I ask because the 212evo and 212x support rotation on am3, but there are like 6 different mounts than cooler master uses on their 120mm air coolers.

Its the 212 evo LED… but this is AM4. Getting it to work was wonky to begin with. I double checked. The other sets of mounts didn’t lineup, no matter the configuration.

Some daylight pictures of the commission/Christmas gift for the son of a friend of mine-

Well I’ve had a look, and bad news… those fins on top of the coldplate area are not present on the other Cooler Master 120mm fan products, so you can’t rotate it without doing something custom… this is because the Hyper212 LED is not a Hyper212 Evo\Plus\X with an LED fan, it is actually the same as the original hyper212 with its cheaper\flimsier mounting. Indeed your lucky to have new stock, as if you’d got an older hyper212 LED it wouldn’t have the two slots cut for the AM4 bracket at all.

The good news is none of the mounting hardware changes had a big impact on temperature (althouhg the revised heatpipe layout at the cold plate on newer designs did a couple of degrees better), and at this cooler weight even shipping the system the older mounts is typically fine. As for the slight temperature change due to layout, it’ll look a little weird, but you can still get nearly all the advantage if you change your fan to be on top of the radiator in pull, which can even be done without removing the tower cooler from the case, just unclip the fan when the systems off, swap the brackets to the other side of the fan, and remount on the top of the radiator. However do note, there may be a slight increase in noise in the new configuration due to the now closer proximity to the top exhaust fan, so if its worth it or not is a personal preference.

I find this kind of amusing: My Jonsbo UMX 4 ATX case is nearly small enough to be considered a mATX case like the Define Mini C TG :laughing:

posting my rgb meme build album

other stuff and backs of some other s340 builds i made for friends

Well for balance I took a selfie :slightly_smiling_face:
Ryzen 1700 OC & 3.75GHz
16G RAM @ 2666
~10TB storage
AMD RX480

IT BOOTING !!!

That is almost the same as mine.

Of for the love of tiny little screaming black baby Jesus, get yourself a new case…
Also I like how AMD designed those coolers with RGB, being visually appealing, and they intentionally placed the AMD logo on the side or at an angle…

Yeah, I suspect anyone running the stock wraith spire cooler would have happily taken the non-RGB version they already make for the Ryzen 1600 and paid the tiny bit less. AMD clearly knew it was not going to be a looker when they stuck the logo on, and left the fan hub totally uncovered molding, but if they where going to pretend it was a visual element they should have at least ensured you can rotate the logo to the top.

When I put the solid metal side panel on the case which is indeed 10+ years old @psycho_666 . You cant tell the RBG logo is not in the correct place :slight_smile:
I was thinking about an AIO cooler except they seem to break in a few years. I know the chip can run at 4Ghz I did it for several days mining bitcoin with the stock cooler. It ran hot so I settled for 3.75GHz. CPU keeps up with the the GPU so shrug and I run 1 to 2 VM’s in the background while gaming usually.

Internal shot of the gift I just built for a friend of mine.

What do you use the VMs for?

One is running linux connected to a VPN for any VPN traffic I want and the other running windows with itunes for when I plug phone in to charge / backup and swap music and audiobooks around. The windows VM use to have a share with google drive sync but I use digital ocean with nextcloud now.
I have serveral other I mess with for nextcloud, other distros and DE’s.

Ryzen 5 1400
Gigabyte ab350 gaming 3
XFX 7950 ghost cooling
Hynix 2400mhz
Corsair mp500 m.2
Seagate barracuda 7200.11 1.5TB
EVGA 650g2
Bitfenix neos

Paid about $400 for the system and caught a lot of deals.

Machine:

ASUS P9X79 LE

CPU:

Hexa core Intel Core i7-4930K

Memory:

32GB DDR3 2133 MHz

Graphics:

Card-1: NVIDIA GM204 [GeForce GTX 970]
Card-2: NVIDIA GM204 [GeForce GTX 970]

Drives:

Samsung_SSD_850 size: 500.1GB (For the OS)
Samsung_SSD_840 size: 500.1GB (for lab VMs)
SAMSUNG_HD502HJ size: 500.1GB (RAID1 for storage)
SAMSUNG_HD502HJ size: 500.1GB (RAID1 for storage)

Cpu: 1950x
Ram: 32GB Gskill Trident z 3200 cl14
Gpu: Gtx 1080ti Aorus
Mobo: Zenith Extreme
Storage: Samsung 960 pro 512GB, Seagate Firecuda 3TB
Psu: Seasonic Titanium 1000W
Case: Thermaltake Core P7 (gonna mount it on the wall eventually)
Cooling: Fractal s36
RBG: Phantek Halo lux X 3

Massive Bonnuru!

Love the TT case. Quickly cobbled together a rig on the P3, turned out better than expected.

damn laser focus; cant get a good pic with all that plexi

Nice!! Are those two Vega frontier editions that I see? I wanna do full custom loop eventually. Done them for people who’ve paid me before but only done soft tubes. This one I wanna try hard tubing and go all out.