[Official] Devember 2021, Welcome!

My project is an open source forum server that generates requested files server side in order to use as little bandwidth and javascript as possible. Kind of like discourse but as fast as possible while minimizing bloat.

Some stupid napkin math : Hamlet has a word count of 30,557. Assuming a generous 2 bytes per character with an average world length of 7 ( again, generous ) its about 427798 bytes or around 427KB. Do websites really need to send the equivalent of shakespeare’s hamlet several times over just to load up a few comments? Just this page has been at least 4MB. /rant

The main goal is to get a viable forum server I can use by around January-Feburary as I will have to setup a forum at around that time. It would be really great If I could use my own software to do that :slight_smile:.

5 Likes
7 Likes

I’m going to start a project in the spirit of Devember, but I know it won’t be finished for the devember rulings.

I want to automate deploying centreon for monitoring Linux servers.

Goals:
Deploy vm from iso
See if it’s possible to automate the stuff normally done in webgui.
Automate/script adding new clients.

5 Likes

I don’t know if this is eligible for a Devember project since it partly involves some hardware (3D printing) but I’m doing it anyway. 'L1 Tech Deck' Devember Project
It’s a little media keypad to use when I’m listening to the L1 news and other podcasts in bed. I will also be making a custom case and keycaps including a L1 logo keycap.

5 Likes

I give it 60 minutes of trying before I brick the tablet.

5 Likes

My Devember project is a distributed web crawler. This is primarily a means for me to learn about how best to design, develop and deploy software across multiple machines.

Link to post: [Devember 2021] - Distributed Web Crawler

5 Likes

Nitty Gritty Gentoo Project!!

My Devember project is to create a custom Distro based on a GentooStage4 tarball, using Gentoo’s Release Engineer tool, Catalyst. I have a few concrete goals for this project:

1. A working build chain going through all the stages (seed, stage1, stage2, stage3, stage4, livecd1, livecd2)
  2. Usable stage 4 tarball
  3. Usable liveCD that can be used to install the stage 4

Stretch Goals:

1. Website to host the tarballs and ISOs
  2. installer saved to livecd to install Gentoo using stage4

[Devember 2021] Custom Distro using Gentoo’s Catalyst

5 Likes

TV Lockout mechanism

Project Link: here

TL;DR Stay on track with your fitness program or get put in the penalty box (no TV).

5 Likes

Trying to enhance my skills in the low-level area of things with a bit of crypto and rust learning thrown in for good measure

2 Likes

I thought this would be a great opportunity to learn the open source Godot game engine so I started a very simple 2D puzzle game (forum thread).

It’s neat seeing everyone’s creativity.

3 Likes

Tsk tsk. I’ve been naughty by creating an open source crypto wallet for Devember:

2 Likes

Am CS student, know a bit of Python and C. I dislike Youtube’s removal of the dislike button, so I decided to make my own.

Edit: whoops, replied to the wrong post. Oh well

6 Likes

My devember project is to create a server and client for listening to audiobooks with the ability to keep track of position in the audiobook across devices.

3 Likes

form post Linux Admin class Final Project

I am an IT student that has a final group project do for Linux Admin class.
I am hosting a server for my group to do the project easier than if we had our own VMs.
ps Yes this is lame but this is a good change to learn Linode hosting

4 Likes

My goal is to create a FUSE mount client for Tahoe-LAFS, a decentralized networked filesystem.

2 Likes

Been wanting to work on (AND FINISH) something interesting on my free time for a while now but haven’t had the driver or motivation to do it, with this year’s Devember I hope I’ll get something done.

2 Likes

Forum Post: Devember 2021 - Quick Music Sampler - Development / Code - Level1Techs Forums

Just a regular guy who enjoys coding and trying to escape my current grind.

App Objective: Speed up the process of sampling new music and creating playlists.

Will post website link when up.

2 Likes

My topic: A web based real time view of amateur radio communications

I recently got my amateur radio licence and would like to expand my radio radio by combining my interest in digital modes and skills in programming.

My demo page: https://m1.x0r.uk/digiradio-v/
My github: https://github.com/x0r9/digiradio-v
L1 Dev Blog: Digiradio-V

My project is to build a simple digital station that will have a web portal showing what packet radio stations I have picked up on. Think of it as a raspberry pi wired up to a modernish radio rig.

It’s like a more personalised version of aprs.fi but could run just locally when using radios when portable and without an internet connection.

4 Likes

So for aprs.fi I suggest you grab the data you want and use the OpenStreetMaps API.

Let’s goooo! :fire:

1 Like