Office 2019 will be Windows 10 ONLY

So what are they supposed to use then? Google Docs? What if the internet goes down or router/switch needs replacing. Is everyone going to stop working?

Although I have used Outlook for OSX and it looks and feels like completely different program to Outlook on windows. I was trying to set up Email archiving with specific time conditions for a customer and I just couldn’t get it to work on the OSX version.

Great, people should’ve have stopped using the stinking pile of trash Windows 7 is since Windows 10 launched, i’m glad Microsoft is dropping support as a whole for it.

3 Likes

Like many have said Libre Office is more than good enough for home use IMO.

Many businesses are moving towards Office 365 as well.

They way MS have been pushing Windows 10, this comes as no surprise.

2 Likes

This phrase is always so funny to me especially when people see the focus on 10 as surprising.

Why wouldn’t they “push” Windows 10 or focus development efforts on it? It is their latest OS product.

Windows 7 came out 9 years ago now. It lost mainstream support in 2015 and is only going to have extended support for another year or two as it stands. Of course it is losing support and isn’t a development focus/priority. It is an old OS.

It isn’t like 7 came out two years ago and as soon as 10 dropped they made all machines running 7 explode…

At this point it is nearly like someone complaining that Windows Vista or XP doesn’t get attention anymore.

6 Likes

Surely Apple is invited to the party. So its time to go Mac and never look back.

Or LibreOffice and Linux since I rather not support Microsoft and their control freak ways.

1 Like

To be fair, Office 2016 isn’t down in the dumps just cause Office 2019 comes out, hell me and my parents used Office 2007 for the longest time (till I got Office 2013).

People are seemingly trying to rationalize their hatred of Windows 10

Geez, when you turn a half-way decent OS into a telemetry operating system and take control over other people’s computers, of course we are going to have a problem with it, that’s normal.

It’s better than people rationalizing why people should use an OS that wants to destroy standards, some which they set themselves such as Win32.

Now what isn’t normal is the damage control, I am sure Microsoft doesn’t need YOUR help defending them. They got lawyers and lobbyists for that kind of crap.

2 Likes

Well this thread is going to get locked by tomorrow, lol.
People need to understand that being a Open Source ideologue is way too much work for 99% of the population, and droning on about evil evil bad Microsoft gets super dull after the first 3 or so diatribes.

7 Likes

It’s a shit move but hey, people choose to be locked in. Who knows, some may see the light now.

1 Like

Some would say also that it is more work to be defending Microsoft left and right and having uptight Stockholm Syndrome to be quite frank. You can complain about people bashing Windows but at least some of us aren’t asleep to the ill’s the operating system is facing, which is a shame, cause it’s otherwise an okay OS that they are ruining themselves.

As for FOSS, the FOSS ideology is winning in the long term. That much is being proven more and more.

Honestly that’s doubtful, I mean if nobody woke up before, your not going to see urgency over this because it’s expected now that Windows 7 is near EOL, so it finally ran it’s course almost.

Maybe I rant too much about Microsoft but that’s mostly to express disappointment in something they had going for them and they throw it in the gutter. Leaves a sour taste. Being on Linux now though I don’t have much reason to worry about Windows anymore…

3 Likes

Bruh. Use Linux. Use Mac. Use Windows.
I don’t care.
that’s the point.
That’s always been the point. Every time one of these threads pops up, people rail and pout and cry that AWH MAH GAW WINDOW BADDDDDD
and the rest of us are simply saying cool. You do you. The ranting and raving and bleating about it is really really fucking boring content though, because it’s the same handful of talking points needlessly regurgitated over and over and over and over.
Linux isn’t that great, either.

2 Likes

Looks like nobody has been thinking about this but… Do you remember there is another Windows version between Windows 7 and Windows 10? Do you remember our good ol’ COUGH cough… Excuse me! Do you remember Windows 8.1?
It may make sense to not support Windows 7, but what about Windows 8.1? It actually just a 4y old OS. It is not that old. It doesn’t make sense to not support it!
And, by the way, is there so important upgrade in the Office 2019 that you need to upgrade? Is there something Office 2016 (or even 2013!) doesn’t do what Office 2019 does?

2 Likes

I thought about it. Did a quick couple of searches, and it looks like Microsoft killed off Windows H8 pretty quickly, thankfully. I’m sure from their perspective, it was one more way to goad people onto Windows 10. But honestly in a battle between Windows 8 and Windows 10, I’d go 10. There are at least performance improvements, and that UI isn’t complete and utter shit. Just mostly shit.

We’ll have to either come up with ways to fight the telemetry or…Oh wait, I forgot, we can’t say that Windows 10 is full of telemetry because apparently that “hasn’t been proven” yet. :roll_eyes:

Edit:
To the point of Office 2019, I can’t wait to see it. I can’t wait to see how Office continues to break Microsoft’s UI standards (what few they have left after Win8), and I can’t wait to see the changes in Office 2019 that will force the users to re-learn applications…again.

Aremis is that you?

What’s the problem? I thought for years the consensus has been that you can use Libre Office and other open sourced free software to completely avoid Windows and Office. So which is it; is this an admission that the free and open source alternatives aren’t as good, or is this is non-issue?

False dichotomy is false.

1 Like

Ok, then… Although I didn’t really mean Windows 8, but Windows 8.1. because it’s much better than Windows 8. You still have that frigin Start Screen, but still…
I’m happy I never was a MS Office Power User… Phew. :slight_smile:

i’m voting a resounding both there cap’n.

i mean i would love to use XP over 7 but thats just me

1 Like