OEM Windows 10 Update 500gig to 1TB procedure unknown

I believe I understand some part of how to fix my upgrade problem.
This will be my first time doing this procedure and thought i should pass it by the community first.

I have cloned 500gig hard drive to 1 TB hard drive thinking that it would just populate the space using Inateck Hardware.
I was wrong and even though there is a new 1TB hard drive in the laptop it still will only use 500gigs.
The 1TB hard drive is being used as the main drive with new content as I did not have time to figure out things until now.

I have looked at partitions and wish to have only 2 because I believe their is 5 or 6.
I looked at this as possibly one of my problems.

The procedure I would like to take now is a clean install as I have not done this to the laptop and think that Windows 10 would recover the missing space on the new hard drive.

I was thinking what I would need to do is write down Windows product key.
I believe you can find this by going to
Control Panel, System.
Product ID: 12345678910…etc.
Windows is activated it says.

After I do that I roll back Windows to 8.1 or even later version as I am not sure how far back it goes.
I believe the OEM drive was windows 10 but not the latest version.
Or I am completely wrong as I have not put that drive in this laptop…
Hmmm maybe should do that and find out.

Does Windows know by hardware if a hard drive was the original product that came with the computer, or does a person like me just need to have a product key.

I thought of taking the content of the new drive and putting it on the old 500gig drive, than wiping the 1TB hard drive.
When the hard drive is erased than adding a fresh install of Windows 10 some how, than adding back the content that I put on the older 500 gig drive.

I feel that people here could clarify the steps I have to take to complete my goal.

I have not made a recovery USB just yet.
Or bootable USB.

I am not sure if this should be done now or after, but believe it wont make a difference.
I know these things should of been done a long time ago.
I also have no backups of this laptop but the 2 hard drives that I have mentioned.

Under Search, type “Computer Management”. Expand Disk Management. Right-click the allocated space on the 1tb drive (the blue partition) and select Extend Volume. Next and yes to the end

While what he says will work, don’t just go clicking away. he should have explained more. And before you do ANYTHING back up your data. I mean it. Back it up to SOMETHING. before you go fiddling.

Backing up your data is always a good idea :stuck_out_tongue:

This will only work if the Partition you want to extend and the empty space are next to each other, with the data being first. Everything else will not be possible with Windows tools.
Booting gparted can solve any partitioning Problem. But if you’re willing to reinstall, that’s probably the easiest solution.
The Product Key you get in the System Information page is not the Product Key to activate Windows. If you currently have windows 10 activated on your PC, you can just reinstall, not enter a key and be done. The PC should automatically activate on first boot.

I’m aware. I prefer using gparted myself, but it sounded like a less experienced user, and I’ve found when using drive cloners that it clones the drive and all partition data with it (including it’s max size), so there isn’t usually an issue with the beginning of the partition. The end of the partition cuts off at the max capacity of the older drive, so it should just need to be extended to the new capacity

Thank you for your feedback.
I have mounted Gparted to USB in the past and believe I ran into some issues.
The program was running and I did shirk and remove as I remember have 6 partitions.
I was thinking of uploading a photo after seeing if it could not be solved.
It was about a year ago I started this project and became busy leaving it on the back burner.
My notes I am not able to find at this time of my progress.
I did not have a backup at the time and was hesitant being my first time.
I will for sure be looking into that in any circumstances so that mistakes can be undo well I continue to learn.
I am glad it is not more complicated than the partition and a re install.
Thank you, excited and happy to have the community support lift my lack of confidence.
Will be providing updates on my progress.

"domsch1988

This will only work if the Partition you want to extend and the empty space are next to each other, with the data being first. Everything else will not be possible with Windows tools.
Booting Gparted can solve any partitioning Problem. But if you’re willing to reinstall, that’s probably the easiest solution.
The Product Key you get in the System Information page is not the Product Key to activate Windows. If you currently have windows 10 activated on your PC, you can just reinstall, not enter a key and be done. The PC should automatically activate on first boot."

Windows Digital Licensing is what I have and what you were referring to.
I would feel more secure if I had a Product Key in case of Windows 10 ends up breaking itself.
I have read that some people had to resort to putting their OEM drive back in and rolling Windows back to 8.1 to retrieve their Product Key.