Oem warranty loophole? [solved]

They were in sealed antistatic bags in individual boxes. They had 0 power on hours according to smartctl… So they were new as far as I could tell but they were still from an OEM

Okay, but if the ad on Amazon didn’t clearly state that those drives were OEM you can technically say that you were scammed.
I think this might be a good lever to get things going your way. Not because you must get your warranty to be honoured but because there was some shadyness going on you weren’t aware of.

If nothing works I’d say try to get in touch with the OEM for the warranty and this should trigger them to trace down who got their hands on those drives and sold them on Amazon.

Ive already sent them back and UPS picked them up yesterday… so everything will be cool as long as long as I get refunded.

also just looked thru the list of sellers on amazon for the same item… only one actually says the drive is OEM and doesnt have a manuf. warranty.

wow

amazon itself isnt even an option any more (except for “shipping from”)

When are you gonna start shuckin?

Thats could lead to jail time or fines… no thanks.

Not yet.

I wanted the 5 year warranty piece of mind that would come with the exos drives.

Yeah… as in seagate doesnt have to honor the warranty because the drive is OEM… they have a loophole

fair enough.

Yeah OEM drives only cover OEMS like where I work it’s pretty standard.

lol, the fence rolled on the fraudsters

Ummm. Does the drive actually have another company’s name on it? Dell, HP, etc? If so, then yes, it’s obviously not a bog standard Seagate drive…
But Seagate do also sell “OEM” drives to DIY type end users… These are simply drives that don’t have pretty retail packaging.

It may not be the seller that’s the problem. It may be Seagate support not knowing the difference between an OEM and an OEM drive.

They all looked just like the picture.

So the lot that I ordered from newegg(sold by and shipped by) just came and I put the serials in on seagates website to check the status before opening the static bags…

winner winner

get green status on warranty with the date they are valid til 2025.
(instead of red status , check with your oem)

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.