OC vs more powerfull PC?

Hi team :)

I have a nice chalange for you...

You have the means to answere this question, so this is where i am going to ask it...

The question is: Is it worth it to buy a pc, spend money for air coolers, water cooler or whatever, then overclock it as much as it can, or is it better to invest the money for coolers and all that stuff into more powerfull hardware?

I mean some people buy a PC and then spend like 200+$ for watercoolers, additionall fans for the case, additional cooler for the videocard, not to mention the case itself. And then they overclock the hell out of the system...

What if they get a great budget case (fd core 3000 for example), and invest those 200-250$ in more powerfull gpu and cpu... And they can even save from the motherboard, cause the boards, that allow great overclock are more expencive then all other boards. Not to mention all the issues and everything, that they will avoid by simply not overclocking...

I'm really currious, which one is the better choice? I am talking about performance for dolar. The fens of OC will always OC...

Thanks in advance. Psycho_666... Hi from Bulgaria... Big fen...

PS: if you do not make a video about this topic, i will ... cry i guess... Nothing i can do about it, you are on the other side of the planet :(

Overclocking is dead, you cannot get the value you used to before. You could do so with new AMD cpus but still the gains (for gaming) in performance are not worth the lifetime loss, energy consumption and heat.

No, it is not dead; that is very ignorant.

How can you say it's not dead when the low end to mainstream products of intel are completely locked (at least till ivy bridge you had 4 multipliers to use on turbo mode).

Even with AMD if you buy an Athlon II x2 right now and overclock it you still don't get to an acceptable level of performance even if it's over 40% overclocked. There is no point in doing so anymore. Overclocking was something useful for budget builds. Now it's just a premium feature which isn't really giving more than 10% more performance, and that makes it useless (unless you really need it, for work)

You won't get the performance from a 200% OCed Atholn II X2, because it's an old, weak CPU, and nothing will change that.

Overclocking does use exponentially more power and produces exponentially more heat, but it is not pointless. The fact that Intel locks their low end CPUs doesn't mean anything about the state of overclocking. It's dumb, they shouldn't do it.

10% is an odd number, seeing as the size of the OC, and the per-core performance determines the gain, not just some vague, multi-purpose number. Yes, you will see performance gains; a lot? Maybe, maybe not, depends on your chip, the applications you run, and the per-core performance of the CPU as well. You might want to disable 4 of the cores on your 8350 for better per-core performance, because AMD sucks in that regard, and OC to about 4.4gHz to get a noticeable increase in performance. If you can undervolt, as well, then you will actually see a drop in temps, most likely. It isn't premium, it isn't old, it is free performance nonetheless, and shouldn't be ignonored.

I was reffering to exagerated overclocks like a hypothetical 5ghz on an fx8350 which would eat up a lot of power and die pretty fast (depends). 10% in games I'm talking about. You really are losing if the performance difference is so small (same with frequent upgrades on the same price level, like every 2 years, a new platform with a mainstream CPU). Yes there are gains, but it really depends on how you care for your hardware, if you don't mind the risks and the nuissance then it's all gain.

People usually buy expensive coolers and tons of fans when they are completely satisfied with their hardware performance and they just want to make it run cooler and/or quieter.

When you need to squeeze out maximum performance for the price, you buy a simple air cooler like Hyper 212 overclock your CPU as far as it goes. I personally think that aftermarket cooler is a must because box coolers are way too loud and not powerful enough. But spending on cooling more than $40 is not cost-effective. 

When talking about cases, budget cases like Cooler Master Elite are enough in terms of airflow. You pay more than that for extra features like cable management. I'd say paying $20 more for a decent case usually worth it unless you are on an extremely tight budget. 

I think I've concluded my argument for both sides.

Popcorn is unhealthy anyway.

I am talking about let's say H100 and some additional GPU cooler... H100 by itself is expensive, not to mention you will need quite a motherboard for the OC, cause cheaper motherboards often don't have all the features needed... Also a good ram... Case that will keep all parts cool enough...

All those small investments sometimes reach, and even pass 200$...

Closed loop coolers don't seem to cool any better then cheaper high end air coolers from what I have seen. Good RAM is always nice to have, allows for easier overclocking if you want to oc your RAM as well lol. Overclocks have never been a sure thing, so if you really need the extra horsepower, buy the higher end stuff. Everything coming out today is insanely fast anyways. Not that it stops me from tinkering with bios settings lol.