OC Dialling & RAM tuning in on a 2950x | X399 Aorus Pro

Good Day/Evening to All,

I am having some trouble with the current memory set (note I only have 16gb installed currently, receiving the other kit next week)

SPD speed and voltage is 2133 @ 1.2v
XMP Profile is 3200Mhz @ 1.35v

It only runs 3000mHz @ 1.35v on XMP and is currently not happy with 3200Mhz, it did not want to boot and reset my bios to F1 (was F2). I think this is the board not being happy with it as this kit is rated at 3200Mhz and should achieve it quite easily (Samsung E-die).

I have not yet used Dram to try fine tune, as I would like to try get it stable at 3000mHz, since I tried 3200Mhz it has not been happy at all and crashes on XMP a few minutes into boot.

Any tips or configs to try and get the Memory stable? I’m not a HC OC’er with RAM, haven’t ever played with timings and the likes as I do not have the knowledge, I don’t mind tinkering, I just like to learn what the setting is doing before just inputting numbers, although I know Dram calculator is pretty good at auto setting a lot of that for you.

CPU is currently at 3.8 All core @ 1.2v. I am also trying to find the spweet spot of voltage with Dynamic clock / PBO so that is isn’t running 3.8Ghz when it does not need to, and to bring power consumption down as much as possible while being safe.

System specs are (not sure if that is displayed on posts):

Aorus Pro X399
2950x (Cooled by Noctua NH-U14 SP3)
GSkill RipJaws V (2 sets of 2x16GB 3200Mhz)
EVGA GTX 1060 6GB
Corsair RM 1000 Platinum

Benching Software:
Aid64
Prime95
Handbrake
Cinebench R15/20
Blender for scene rendering.

Thank you in Advance :pray:t6:

bump - updated thread to convey what I am actually trying to do, which is find a good base OC and fine tune the Voltages.

Also allowing for different profiles for different setups (C/T count)

Honestly PBO does a pretty good job at maxing out your chip. You can get more if you really want, but probably not worth it generally. As PBO wont ever be unstable (I have at least never head of it having issues)

I’ve tried PBO but it runs the chip 1.4v more often than not and even reaches close on 1.42 at times and so I would prefer to keep it off. I’m more than happy running 3.6-8 and have dynamic down clock bring the speed when not needed, the only thing have found with this is that the cores on the edges of the CCX complex keep the highest set frequency constantly instead of down clocking like the rest of the cores inside the complex’s.

I also want control of the Memory access mode so that my memory isn’t routing around the CPU increasing latency. As good as PBO is on TR, I prefer manual tuning as gain an understanding from what each setting does and contributes to my overall XP with the platform.

bumping again - changed RAM and trying to tune it to get rated speeds out of it.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.