no me plz @nx2l

2 Likes

no, he runs arch btw

2 Likes

are fedora and arch…archenemies?

1 Like
2 Likes

pfft Archlabs thank you. Pure Arch is for hipsters

I’ll install it all if I get free stuff, @Adubs will just put freenas on it :frowning:

as a meme, all of the distros are

1 Like

Im changing my answer… I think the cool points are worth it… and hopefully next gen Rome still works in current motherboards.

I’ll consider it a tie, and wait for more votes.

2 Likes

I’ll put xpenology on it because ecosystem

2 Likes

C O N V E R G E N C E

2 Likes

Ive thought about doing it… maybe reduce my power usage having 1 machine vs 2…

but I like have my storage server separate and using fibre channel with LIO.

Both machines avg around 70w for light use (each)

3 Likes

just remembered that I didnt include my centos router/iptables system into the power numbers…

combining all three into one system would lower my power bill, but I would lose the flexibility to reconfigure or takes things offline without affecting the entire network.

I guess if I moved away from FC HBAs… I could possibly open the door for low power proxmox nodes…maybe based on Core i3 or Ryzen 3/5

But I like having a dedicated SAN… if I wasnt limited by pcie slots on ITX… Id have more options.

Maybe i just should reconfigure everything for vlan tagging and I could get way with one FC HBA per compute node (and then they could also be low power machines)

… I just need to make up my mind and pick a direction

/rant

1 Like

I wouldn’t converge your router. Anything else, for home use sure, but keep the gateway separate.

4 Likes

The more I think about it… the more I want the Epyc system for my storage server… I’d also do a case change to a rosewill L4500 at the same time.

I comparatively threw together comparable builds on Intel Xeon 2066 / Xeon 1151 / 2011-3 … Would spend more for older hardware in most cases

What might be a reasonable price for these parts (sold as combo) (after looking them up… since the price of ram has dropped… probably best to not sell it and lose a ton of money)

ASRock Z370M Pro4
RAM: 64GiB total ( F4-2133C15-32GVR)
Core™ i5-8500 CPU ( 6c/6t )

I mean, you could run FreeNAS as a VM and just pass through the HBA and it’d run fine if you want to do a converged solution.

Either way, I’d probably wait for Zen 2/Rome to be released. Either more perf from Zen 2, or cheaper Zen 1 stuff if you feel you can wait.

1 Like

That’s the thought I have had in the back of my mind… but I don’t want to miss the pricing of ECC ram while it’s low

1 Like

I believe RAM is slated to keep decreasing throughout the rest of 2019. GamersNexus HW news keeps up pretty well on that and AFAIK that was the last update on the situation

1 Like

But does anyone know when rome is being released and when availability will hit consumer sites like newegg/amazon?

I think if I could find the elusive 7371 CPU… i’d be more willing to pull the trigger on combining two systems into one.

1 Like

Im going to order a small shelf with wheels … hoping I can put my servers on it and organize everything better.

Also going to order a rosewill L4500 server case…I think the foam in the front panel will filter dust better for my storage server.

I may also have a couple QLA2564 cards that have been sitting around… and without good airflow… they’d get too warn to put in my current tower case.

2 Likes

Almost bought one of those for my freenas build. I didn’t have a rack though so I wasn’t sure what kind to get with it and I was trying to be a cheap ass.