Nvme windows install help

need help installing windows 7 on nvme wd 256gb. never used nvme before and i cant find the driver for some reason. when i try to install windows on the nvme it says i need the driver even though it is seen as another drive on my computer and can be accessed. I formatted it and is gtp and ntfs when i put a volume on it.

any help is greatly appreciated thanks!...using dvd

Windows 7 needs you to add some NVMe drivers to your install media for it to work properly, its really annoying and not that easy. Here's a guide:

Good luck!

1 Like

thanks ill check it out....if i knew it was this annoying i would have gotten a regular 2.5 ssd

1 Like

If you install 8.1 or 10 you don't have to deal with it. NVMe had to be patched and added to Win 7 and Win 2008 server since NVMe wasn't around when either 7 or 2008 server was released, and hence not available on the install media.

thanks for the info ill install win10 i guess then

Linux runs perfect on a NVME. My main rig is set up for dual boot with both Operating systems running on 2 Samsung 950 pro NVMEs. Windows 7 is a pain to install, good luck with that. However, Windows 10 runs fine on, for as much as you can consider windows running "fine" anyway. The other os is linux mint 18, and I could not have asked for a better install procedure and I have not had any issues with it since the install.

Linux Mint is the quickest and easiest install I've ever had. pretty great, simple OS.

I agree. Mint is probably the most user friendly OS for someone swapping from windows to Linux. When I have to setup computers for my people (family) they are setup with Mint. It saves me a lot of work for a computer that is used for surfing the web and watching youtube videos.

thanks everyone for the help. the pc isnt for me so had to install windows 10 which fixed everything and was very easy to do.....I never tried linux myself because I am scared and I heard gaming isnt as good/easy to do compared to windows

can close thread

Not only that.

If his motherboard also doesnt have any legacy ps2 combo port or usb2.0 ports.
He will also have to patch the windows 7 installation media with atleast usb3.0 drivers.
Otherwise that will be the next obstacle in his way.

A okay i will lock this topic then.