NVMe SSD recommendations for gaming

What do you mean by this?

This is subjective. You cant determine if that aspect is of value to someone, or if they ‘require’ it. Its one of the major reasons people pay the premium for the samsung drives over their competitors. The endurance is part of the selling point.

The point of this thread is to help someone else make a decision on an SSD. Its not to pontificate about what aspects are important to that person.

1 Like

Yeah, so why should you pay for endurance that you won’t use? A typical TLC SSD will outlast casual users system by a decade, a Samsung SSD might give you an additional year, which is my point.

That’s what I’m doing, by giving the facts.

Who are you to determine that?

:thinking:

Can you prove thats all you get?

I havent seen any facts yet. Just subjective opinions.

1 Like

@Neilas since you specified gaming use I’d say go with the existing sabrent rocket, or a non pro samsung. The difference in loading times is pretty insignificant between all of them really. The 4k random q1t1 benchmarks are an accurate representation of most files you’ll be loading for gaming and youll note that most drives are pretty close to eachother in that benchmark save for maybe the Optane stuff.

I suppose it would help to understand your expectations a little better.

Let’s do just a quick thing here, what SSD you have, what do you use it for, how long you have it and how much you have TBW on it?

Samsung 970 PRO 1TB version has 1200TBW rating
ADATA SX9000 1TB version has 1000TBW rating
These are flagship Prosumer drives and realistically gamer that makes YT videos as a side note can’t burn either in 2 decades as that would take 4.16TBW per month on SX9000 and 5TBW per month on the samsung drive to do that.
If we move to more grounded options, 970evo and SX8200PRO
970evo 1TB has 600TBW rating
SX8200PRO has 640TBW rating
Even this would be quite hard to write off in 20 years 2.5TBW per month is a lot for gamers, but would be realistically possible if you have multiple games such as the new COD MW.
Sequential speed wise ADATA with both drives beats both Samsung drives. Samsung however has a better controller and it can do 500/450k IOPS vs the 390/380k IOPS on ADATA, so still think that Samsung has miracolous advantage for consumers or even prosumers? For professionals obviously the better controller would be benefitial in some workloads, and the higher TBW rating on 970PRO would mean additional month or two of heavy usage without worries.
Enough facts for you?

Guys, I feel like we’re going a bit off the topic of helping OP pick a drive for gaming and are diving into proving who’s “correct” just for the sake of it.

1 Like

I am thinking of getting some Sabrant 2TB Rocket Q sticks. One for my home actual gaming PC which is nothing spectactualr, and if that works out a second one for my NUC 6i7KYK again fast storage for mainly games though it would be general storage too for that PC.

As I mentioned earlier Sabrent drives are the cheap popular option, as long as you back up any important files you should be fine with them, just note that there are reliability issues with Toshiba/Sandisk NAND, but from what I’ve heard Sabrents are nowhere near as bad as first gen kingston drives and WD:green were.

1 Like

I’m here. I use a 480 GB Optane 900p on my gaming Windows desktop. It came with a Star Citizen ship so how could I resist?

I loved it so much that for my Ryzen 3900X build I bought a 960 GB Optane 905p.

So it isn’t just an “Internet reputation.” I have real world experience with them. I will tell you that Optane storage drives are amazing.

I can also tell you that they are expensive and probably not worth the price for the performance, but that’s also true about 2080 Ti or 3090 GPU cards, and I don’t see too many people complaining about those.

Edit: I was just reading Anandtech’s Samsung 980 review and saw this graph with the Optane drive on top. Way, way on top. https://www.anandtech.com/show/16087/the-samsung-980-pro-pcie-4-ssd-review/5

Just to throw in extra options, if you want to blow $$ to play with the best and greatest, you could always wait for the gen4 Optane or Micron’s Optane version. You could also get the FuzeDrive 1.6TB to have fun with the 128GB SLC portion of it

1 Like

Any one of those will do the trick. In fact, in pretty much every game on the market you won’t notice a difference between an NVMe drive and a standard SATA SSD. Maaaaaybe the loading times in a few games will be shorter, but that’s about it. We are simply not at that point yet, and considering the cross-gen nature of the games that are supposed come to next-gen consoles, we likely won’t be for at least another 2-3 years.

1 Like

Yeah, the Anandtech review is what I saw as well. How much did you get your 905p for btw?

Pretty similar to this one on Amazon, which is where I got mine last year:

So about $1,200

Hot diggity dog, that’s way more than I thought it would be. Is that just because those are 3rd party? That just seems nuts to me, but I guess its still a niche product as Intel is the only party that sells these.

That’s pretty good price for an enterprise cache drive, as I said it’s not a consumer drive and its IOPS and PBW is really representative of that.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.