NVME Controller running significantly hotter after BIOS Update

In preparation for a 13th gen upgrade, I successfully updated the BIOS on the MSI B660 M-A wifi from the default version 11 to 19. However, upon starting Windows I noticed that Fan Control was ramping up the case fans because the 2TB SN570 storage drive was running above the 40C threshold I set as there’s no heat sink on the m2_2 slot.

Even with the case fans pushing a good amount of air the controller is reporting at least 15C hotter than before at desktop idle with no SMART errors. Running a Windows Defender scan increased the temps another 10C to the high 50s, but running a 256mb CrystalDiskMark also produced similar temps with seemingly full r/w speeds.

My first thought was to manually clear CMOS, but there’s only the motherboard jumper and I ran out of time today. I also considered something like HMB, I left XMP off after the update but that should only affect write operations and not desktop idle on a storage drive.

Anyone have any other thoughts or similar experiences?

So fans speed doesn’t ramp up to nvme temps only CPU and if any, other motherboard sensors

What likely happened is you got an update in the background cause disk writes causing higher than idle nvme temps and CPU usage causing the fans to ramp up

They do in Windows if you use the freeware program Fan Control and add the NVME sensors to your CPU/GPU fan curve that controls the case fans. This is the only reason I noticed the controller was running hotter. What is also strange is that there also seems to be a larger delta between the other two temp sensors and the controller. Before it was less than 10C difference, now it is almost 20C

Nope, this is a secondary storage drive and there was 0% read/write activity on the desktop. I just reset the BIOS and the only the CPU fan is set to a dynamic curve, both intake and exhaust fans are set to a static temp in BIOS and controlled by Fan Control in Windows. I also verified HWInfo’s temps with WD dashboard. The controller is reporting hotter through SMART there as well. I know it is reporting hotter than before because I can be a bit obsessive with thermals.

The only thing I haven’t done yet is either an extended CrystalDiskMark benchmark or transfering a large amount of files from the OS drive to see if the controller will thermally throttle, but I also don’t feel like eating up all the write endurance on a brand new drive either. Also firmware is up-to-date through WD dashboard.

Didn’t know fan control worked on modern platforms, or was even being updated

Maybe I’m thinking of speed fan

Fan Control works great on anything that’s not an OEM motherboard. It’s also being frequently updated by the sole developer and he’s up to version 140-something. Only downside is that it’s not super intuitive for beginners, but you can teach youself pretty easily by just messing around or watching a quick vid. It’s also one of the easiest ways to add GPU temps to your case fan curves instead of just CPU.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.