Nvidia X Server

I’m trying to get x sever to match the settings of my windows install with the Nvidia control center. The monitoring currently using is the only monitor I own. I have a gtx 980 a x570 asus Prime pro mobo 3700x 16 gigs of ram an a 1 TB nvme drive.

I have some pictures here of what I’m trying to make happen I originally pseudo had this going on a amd 8350 system on KDE Neon years ago but it was not stable anyway. But currently I’m extremely tired of Windows so i’m really trying to make this work.

These are the settings from Windows 10. If it is not set this way the display is extremely blurry and will never scale correctly unless it’s at 4k which only works if 30hrz as the display does not have HDMI 2.0

On a fresh install of Pop OS as of today 6/10/2020. I’m not fully sure where to start to do this correctly. even when modifying the X -configuration file and have it not do you some really weird refresh rate

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

first change your refresh to the desired rate and your resolution should change also
you will always be progressive scan and 32bit color so ignore those
1920x1080 120hz

Sadly I don’t get the option to do so.

did you look at the advanced button?
I used the Google and searched for 144hz Nvidia x server and found that the nvidia proprietary drivers will go up to 144hz with the mouse but the rest of the desktop is about 60hz
long story short Nvidia needs to fix it

if you use the Mesa + Nouveau drivers you can get 120hz

nothing under advanced tab for it.
I will give that a shot is there a specific PPA i will need? for both of them,
I agree Nividia really needs to step up at this point.

no ppa just normal packages

Ignore the NVidia control panel completly, what you want is to set a new modeline, that can be pretty hard. Getting the timing and stuff right is a real pain in the ass. https://github.com/MagicRB/dotfiles/blob/master/OLD/configs/laptop-monitor-asus-fx505dt/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-monitor.conf these are some modelines I created for my friends laptop, they work and might give you a good starting point. I must warn you, even though I managed to get it working, it works on the 3 or 4 try, you must get lucky as the timing of the monitor and X11 won’t get synced for some reason and we got weird artifacts, I always got lucky though, also you might not experience this, that laptop is trash

EDIT:
the decimal number in the modeline is the clock speed (what ever that is, most likely in Hz), then there are two patterns, which are the same, of 4 numbers, one for x, one for y. The first number is the resolution in that axis, and the following three, describe the blanking and sync intervals and stuff, you can reverse engineer that from the numbers that can be seen in one of your screenshots, though X and Windows represent the same values differently, there will be some conversion required. I’ll try to do that myself tomorrow. I’ll report back if a I figure it out.

PS. the nouveau driver is sadly trash, no vulkan and reclocking so very slow, it’s not the fault of the nouveau devs, rather it’s nvidia’s for sprinkling in some blob bs and firmware signing after the 7xx maybe 8xx gen.

After giving it a go here for a bit i got it to about the same as i had it before a few years back, sadly not all that stable, It’s going to take a long while but I’m just going to try to change out the monitor to one that has hdmi 2.0. Hopefully by then a few more bugs get worked out :smiley:
Thank you for the help!

That’s a big rip my dude, but I have learned anything in linux, if it isn’t fixed now, some programmer with a similar setup will get annoyed and eventually make a fix.

Just to be clear, you are using the nvidia proprietary drivers and is the montior connected through hdmi or displayport? Last time I connected my 4k montior via hdmi, I was capped at 4K30Hz.

I am on Fedora with the nvidia proprietary drivers. When I need to change my resolution, I just use the gnome settings. Did the Kde graphics settings not allow you to change the resolution? I assume you used Xserver because the kde graphics didn’t give options either?

I also notice that in linux, some ports on my 2070 seem to have different settings. Some will only allow changing the rotation to be either portrait left or right.

If you haven’t given up, I’d try plugging in the montitor to each port (assuming the montior only has 1 displayport) and seeing if either the Kde graphics app or Nvidia Xorg will let you tune the resolution and refresh rate.

Doing a quick search
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=forcing+lower+display+and+resolution+nvidia+ubuntu&t=fpas&ia=web
I found these results

http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/2017/04/custom-screen-resolution-ubuntu-desktop/

I did another search with refresh rate
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=forcing+refresh+rate+display+and+resolution+nvidia+ubuntu&t=fpas&ia=web

They are all ubuntu, but iirc pop os was a mod of ubuntu