nVidia v. AMD GPU for PLEX on Linux

Hi all,

I suppose I am bringing up a pretty old question here. I have been purchasing nVidia cards exclusively. Currently, I am running a 980 Ti and thinking about a Threadripper build. I am pretty sure that the 5700xt and the 2070/80 cards will be better than the current 980 Ti. But ince I am also switching everything to Linux I am finding that installing the nVidia drivers is annoyings.

My question is which one would be better for hardware acceleration for PLEX? Is anyone using an AMD card in their PLEX server? If so how do you like it. The few video that I have looked at from EPOSVOX (https://www.youtube.com/user/EposVox/featured) seem to suggest that nVidia may be the way to go.

Any suggestions?

nvidia for linux, either for windows … dunno why Plex doesn’t get with the program and adopt amd for hw accel under linux.

There’s no need to upgrade to a 20 series just for Plex. If you do a lot of 4k, you want a Pascal chip so that’s a 10x series, or a Quadro P400 (or better)

2 Likes

I was going to say a P2000 but you have covered that.

1 Like

Thanks @gordonthree and @tabun

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.