Nvidia Turing for Crypto Mining

The name “Turing” suddenly turning up out of the blue in Nvidia’s lineup struck me as an odd name for a gaming graphics card, and this article suggests their next graphics cards release will be cheaper optimized crypto mining cards. How much this might affect the price of gaming cards remains to be seen, but this is also what I expect from AMD possibly using their infinity fabric to produce Navi, expected sometime next year. Crypto mining cards don’t require a lot of things on a gaming card, others have made similar cards aimed specifically at crypto miners, but if anyone can make it work, its Nvidia simply due to their enormous production capacity.

Theres already AMD mining edition cards out. The 370 and 380X are being sold still under a different name as mining editions.

Yes, but they are not all that much cheaper, and Nvidia probably would love nothing more than to crush AMD’s sales, which are going through the roof due to their cards being more compatible for crypto mining.

What fab do they own, exactly? If you mean tremendous monetary and engineering resources, sure.

What miner is going to buy a mining-specific card with almost zero resale value? The safety is in being able to resell at any time should the crypto crash happen, after all. It will have to be leaps and bounds above any GTX card.

That said, this just feels like fluff designed to keep Nvidia’s name front and center. At which they are excellent.

1 Like

The problem is who can buy the most memory and sell the cheapest cards optimized for crypto mining. Apple and others are buying first dibs on memory production and if Nvidia can sell in volume to miners they can buy more memory. They are literally the eight hundred pound gorilla, the MS of graphics cards. However, none of that means the price of graphics cards is ever going back to normal, it just means they might stabilize.

The companies making memory can increase the price.
Samsung has fabs and is a giant company, Nvidia has…?

What prevents Samsung as the largest memory supplier from increasing the price? Anyone else can build a new fab, sure. But just like Samsungs P2 it will not be producing anything until 2020.

@Steinwerks allready stated, either mining cards have significantly higher hashrates or better have resell value. Any of those mining-specific cards are basically glorified ASICs and those lack any resell value. For mining cards, even with the 800 pound gorilla behind the product, it is worthless the moment the crypto currencies crash.

Crypto currencies are based on the fact money and the gun are doing all the talking worth listening to, which is no different from any other segment of the economy. Crypto currencies are here to stay and attempts to censor the internet only raise their value. Over one third of all Wall Street transactions are now done by computers, and until AI is established as ubiquitous there is nothing anyone can do about crypto currencies. No doubt, the government and others would love nothing more than to use everyone’s home computer in the name of national defense.

I really dont like the idea of cryptocards. Wouldnt it be taking away parts from normal gpus thus making it even harder to make a lot of them?

Why make more skus when you can just keep making the same number of parts and pieces
Splitting your production stack isn’t going to make more available product

4 Likes

The current state of the finance world is computers doing trading so fast, getting physically closer to the other datacenter results in higher profit.
Bitcoin takes how long to make a transfer? Several hours?
High frequency trading takes less than 350 milliseconds to complete a transaction.

The whole “we are independent, hurray” arround crypto currencies isn´t interesting to anyone. With physical cash, anyone is independant too. Additionally there is no law preventing anyone from starting their own financial institution. In my mind, the independance argument is null and void (mainly due to absurd transaction cost).

Iceland is one of the places where mining is popular because they had geothermal heat to run all the equipment on the cheap. They are already considered outlaws by the US and EU for throwing the bankers involved in the global economic collapse in jail. Having bitcoin is one way around having to deal with the US. Wall Street transactions might only require seconds, but too many people have secrets they keep much longer and could not do otherwise with the US bugging everyone in the whole world.

Unless you’re piggybacking on an industrial electricity price, that’s just not true: https://www.statista.com/statistics/643385/electricity-prices-for-households-in-iceland/

I have cheaper electricity here in Iowa at ~$0.12/KWh in USD.

Edited for clarity.

You are comparing Euros to dollars. The whole point is that an estimated 1700 international conglomerates now control the world economy. The same people who ran the global economy into the dirt are using governments like that of the US to spy on their competition and gain leverage over them. In the US, only rich people are supposed to be able to keep secrets and have Swiss bank accounts and avoid paying taxes. That’s just money and the gun doing all the talking and the rest of the world isn’t quite ready to roll over allow the conglomerates to run their entire business or economy.

I have an idea. Lets buy out all the turing cards before the crypto miners can buy them and use them for folding at home and other combined computing systems.

Just because I want to piss them off.

You might as well attempt to buy all the crack cocaine in Miami. The most you will accomplish is to become the biggest drug dealer around.

2 Likes

I almost feel like the problem also comes from resellers and scalpers, not entirely miners. Like if you look at online retailers you’ll notice that there are actually a lot of cards available, they’re just being sold by third parties for exorbitant prices. If I had the money to buy cards regularly I’d be running some auto purchase scripts too, because hey, profit is profit.

And thats why I want to burn this fucking country to the ground.

Yes. That’s why I included USD in my post.

No.

The point you tried to make, and against which I argued, was that electricity is cheap in Iceland. It’s cheaper than other places in Europe, but it is not “cheap” in the general sense of the word in an international comparison.

I don’t care for the rest of your ramblings and don’t intend to argue anything one way or another on your shoehorning in of eco-political fringe rants.

I’ll edit my previous post to reflect that.

If you want solar power, you put a solar cell on your roof. Some power companies have attempted to charge people for the privilege, but it can be done most places. Iceland is the largest exporter of aluminum in the world, not because aluminum is rare, but it requires a lot of electricity to process. Bitcoin miners there fill enormous warehouses with rigs, depend on the cold weather to control their temperatures, and dig a well to provide geothermal energy. You know, like Americans used to do before they came to believe you have to shop at Walmart and Amazon and vote for whichever clown screams the loudest.