NVIDIA To Officially Support VESA Adaptive Sync (FreeSync) Under “G-Sync Compatible” Branding

Interesting thought indeed. That would certainly fit the company.

1 Like

Ain’t nothing stoppin’ AMD from making a Freesync Approved certification program. Until that happy day, both AMD and Nvidia owners will have some idea of whether a freesync monitor will actually be worthwhile with the Nvidia certification.

So fucking stoked I spent the extra cash on a G-sync monitor a week ago… then again I’m used to shit like this happening.

3 Likes

You would have to think Nvidia did talk to display OEM’s.

Maybe that is why the official list is so small and will be for the product cycles to complete.

I like everyone have been calling for Nvidia to drop this G-sync nonsense. Im glad they have. Took them too long and the TV’s now coming out probably nailed it.

Call me a fanboi or whatever but I don’t like for one second nVidia getting the credit for failing. They should have at minimum both logos on the products and I hope it turns out that way, but I am not expecting it to.

And in 7 months, there will be a lot of “my G-Sync display does not work with my GPU”-threads, here and everywhere.
Good luck explaining not all G-Sync is created equally and their respective display does not work with FreeSync.

Apart from that, Nvidias overcomplicated solution failed, now they just market FreeSync as their own solution. Cheap shot.

Like I said, hardware g-sync will obviously be going the way of all flesh over the next year or so. So the only scenario where that would happen is if you were an unsophisticated user and bought a used monitor.

I think that what happened is Nvidia checked reddit and found out that their adaptive sync already works with Freesync monitors.

Then Jensen announces “Hey look at us! We are being good guys and giving you something for free that we thought we had locked out in our driver, but you already had the function all this time. But now that the secret is out, we are going to pretend that we invented it.”

3 Likes

Really? Did someone successfully hack their drivers? I was waiting for that to happen for years.

Not that I am aware of.

I tried Nvidia adaptive sync on my Freesync screen last night (see above) and it worked. Then today I read that the driver that enables the functionality isn’t due to be released until Jan 15. I am using Geforce driver 417.35.

2 Likes

Oh? Maybe they enabled it early or something. That’s cool.

My understanding was that problems with narrow refresh rates were part of the reason for AMD creating the FreeSync 2 certification. I mean, it also includes some HDR stuff, but the main focus was to make a more guaranteed-good experience on certified monitors.

As I see it:
FreeSync < or = G-Sync Compatible
FreeSync 2 > or = G-Sync Certified

What AMD should really do is remove any non-LFC (Low Framerate Compensation) monitors from their list, that’s just asking for problems.

Obligatory video from GN:

1 Like

Do we have any idea if the middle row there is G-Sync monitors that have a G-Sync module, or a category of Adaptive Sync monitors that are certified and then marked as G-Sync Certified?

Agree Freesync 2 was too tighten up the spec to a standard.

What is most funny to me is, that adaptive sync is a standard… It’s part of display port and now HDMI as well… And Nvidia still don’t support it properly.
It’s a standard. And Nvidia is not even fitting in it out of greed I guess…

3 Likes

The middle one is a g-sync module yes. There are 2 different modules. The regular g-sync and g-sync ultimate with 4k and HDR is how it works as far as I know.

My feeling is they are going to support it now, but they aren’t going to implement something similar to AMD’s low framerate compensation, which repeats frames when your framerates are lower than the VRR range of the monitor. So currently existing freesync monitors, which typically bottom out around 48Hz, will flash and look like shit at lower framerates. That’s my guess as to what’s happening.

Both gsync (hardware) and Freesync 2 certified monitors all work from 0Hz to the max refreshrate of the monitor, but Freesync 1 not so much.

1 Like

What they do below 40 FPS is frame doubling.
None of the monitors actually ever go below 35Hz or so.

I mean you already kinda said that, but just to clarify.

1 Like

Lots of gsync monitors start at 30Hz, but yeah, below that they framedouble. Most freesync monitors start at 48Hz, with a couple exceptions.

1 Like

Oh, I was assuming that they would be completely discontinuing G-Sync modules. Looks like you’re right though; from the Nvidia CES announcement page (emphasis mine):

[…Talks about G-Sync Compatible…]

For the best gaming experience we recommend NVIDIA G-SYNC and G-SYNC Ultimate monitors: those with G-SYNC processors that have passed over 300 compatibility and quality tests, and feature a full refresh rate range from 1Hz to the display panel’s max refresh rate, plus other advantages like variable overdrive, refresh rate overclocking, ultra low motion blur display modes, and industry-leading HDR with 1000 nits, full matrix backlight and DCI-P3 color.

The G-Sync list doesn’t say which are without the module, but I suspect it’s the 12 that are listed as having No Variable Overdrive and higher than 1 Hz minimum.

2 Likes