NVIDIA To Officially Support VESA Adaptive Sync (FreeSync) Under “G-Sync Compatible” Branding

There’s no particular reason why VRR monitors couldn’t support the same frequency ranges as gsync. I assume that’s what the “gsync approved” monitors do.

As for being superior technologies, they’re basically the same thing. Gsync is in a separate module, and Nvidia mandates tight specs for validation like that refresh range, but otherwise identical.

Gsync also keeps a full FB in memory, but it’s never been entirely clear why that’s advantageous. Plain old VRR works fantastic on AMD GPUs, and I don’t see why it wouldn’t do the same on Nvidia ones.

1 Like

Good. Now all the display vendors need to drop every single monitor with G-sync hardware and then we have two brands for the same open standard.

1 Like

That has never been proven and in case of frequency range, is also untrue.

FreeSync supports 9 to 240Hz, G-Sync 30 to 144

2 Likes

I was just waiting for this. Literally like I said above. Lol.

Why try to find a way to support both cheaply when one is free as part of the VESA standard and then other requires proprietary, expensive and objectively worse technology. This is competition in action like want and Freesync won.

You couldn’t support gsync cheaply, because you were forced to purchase a $200 hardware module from Nvidia. And the module for 4k HDR reportedly cost $500!

2 Likes

From the CES thread.

My wondering is how is that even possible that only 12 out of 400 and potentially 550 pass their certification.

I was right in thinking that adaptive sync is a standard. And there has been very few complaints about them from AMD users.

Could it be that the 12 the approved are the only ones willing to licence the nVidia branding.

1 Like

Gsync is more than just adaptive sync? or am I wrong about that.

But they are certifying adaptive sync now, giving up on g-syng. Somehow nVidia know the standard better than VESA apparently.

they are allowing adaptive sync but gsync was also some HDR stuff too. gsync wasnt the same as vesa standard exactly.

Not quite. They are certifying gsync monitors, that support adaptive sync. So basically they certify their own poop…

2 Likes

Oh I know that but these are not holding adaptive sync as g-sync, just licencing the branding to those they feel worthy of the jolly green giant.

What I was thinking is if one adaptivesync panel passes they must all pass as they are all standardised under VESA.

Edit: oh… Thanks @psycho_666.

So this is one major pile of nothing.

And further to @Adubs I though the HDR g-sync was a totally different module. Where standard adaptive sync and g-sync were the same thing but for price.

This just makes me hate nvidia all the more. What a shower of cunts.

IDK, you probably know more than I do. I dont follow the developments that closely, I was just saying what I thought the article was showing.

edit nvm u rite

1 Like

Neither do I really but from the reading I did thus seems like a giant mess designed to confuse and make the consumer just break down and pay the extra for an actual g-Sync monitor rather than just buy what works just as well but does not have the arbitrary badge of approval.

I am more confused now than when I started.

I have the cure for that one. Its called not giving a shit.

Yeah, you are right there. It just annoys me that not only did they realise they are losing the battle but they feel the need to torpedo the standard for their own ends.

This is just typical nVidia. Our way or whatever enjoy your shit experience. when the reality is very different.

was gsync first to the table?

As far as I know Adaptive Sync capability in panels (not freesync) was around for quite some time before being implemented in graphics cards. But I could be wrong. It would be a technicality but I believe Adaptive Sync beat out G-Sync by some time.

1 Like

Yes G-Sync was first (by a week or so).
I would guess AMD came later due them handing it in to VESA before going public with it.

1 Like

That is how I remember it as well.

1 Like

I thought gsync came first but I didnt know by how much. I guess I dont understand why they tried to ride that pony for so long. Perhaps they knew they couldnt keep getting away with it but the red tape stopped it from happening sooner.