Nvidia sneaks out Titan Xp

Successor to the 2016 Titan X Pascal. 3840 CUDA cores, and more memory bandwidth than HBM.

Nvidia probably weren't happy with the 1080Ti outperforming the X in most games. Being their own competition. Well, that, or they're prepping for Vega.

1 Like

That's been out for quite a while....

its the Titan X Pascal pascal edition TI Boost

4 Likes

It is confusing, but it seems that it is a Titan X(P) refresh called "Titan Xp".

This model's just been released now. "Fully fledged" GP102 core.

This has to be a joke... yes let's name it the same as what they renamed our last product because we named it the same.

3 Likes

So it's just as dumb as the last one
K

2 Likes

I hope people start calling it The Titan Xpp.

"Hey man how much does your Xpp score in Firestrike?"
"... My pp is none of your concern, but it's still there and I don't have any STIs thanks..."

4 Likes

So here is my theorie why Nvidia does this insanity:

Before the Ryzen Launch Intel launched their newer CPUs which perform better than the first iteration of the Ryzen Chips, so Intel still has "the best performing CPU on the market". It costs twice as much but doesnt perform twice as good.

And i have a strange feeling that Nvidia does the same thing now with GPUs before VEGA launches.
Rumors have spread that the highest performing VEGA GPU will be in the range of a 1080TI (i think it will be closer to non-Ti 1080) but now that the Titan Xpppxp early 2017 (sounds very apple-ly) is out, even when VEGA launches Nvidia can still claim that they have "the best performing GPU on the market".

Here is my prediction: The Titan Xpp early 2017 will cost twice as much (or even more) then the highest Vega Card but will not perform twice as good.

In conclusion: The strategie seems (for me) to be to throw the high-end GPUs und CPUs on the market before AMD launches their new stuff, so when you not looking at the price, Intel & Nvidia still are the highest performing Components. Maybe costs you over 2000$/€ but still the "best".

Titan XP SP1

6 Likes

We've always known this would happen, so I'm not even suprised. I mean it surprises my that people weren't pissed when nvidia released a $1200 card that clearly featured a gimped GPU. Lets see how vega compares to this (though i doubt itll beat this). Also, who the fuck is buying these?!

VEGA will never beat the Titan XPxpxp but i guess VEGA will be between the 1080 and the one Titan X* that came right after it. And here is the thing: I am pretty sure that the most expensive Vega Card will be 600-800 $/€.

Maybe Nvidia feel that Vega could be faster than the Titan and Ti cards.

Having three Titan cards all with the same name is confusing though.

They're doing it , just because they got freaked out after the 1080Ti smashed the Titan XP (sans "SP1") in many of the tests.

Hopefully there won't be a Titan XP SP2 for a revised VRM design, let's just say that.

All I can say to anyone shopping for Nvidia is never buy a Titan. Complete waste of money when the outrageously expensive card you buy gets beat by ti version of the next level down of cards a few months later and then you see this shit here for the second blow to the nuts.

1 Like

But Nvidia will have known that from the start. This is a strange situation.

1 Like

I think we have two separate aspects in here:
1. A complete naming disinformation (choosing the same name twice without any discriminator, then commonly use discriminator by customers and media for a new product).
2. Release schedule.

I can understand 2. - as a customer it always puts me at the right distance - e.g. do not buy 1080/Titan refresh when next product series is expected "soon". It is just a way to maximize profit.

The 1. is something I have issue with. Titan X, Titan X(P), now Titan Xp - it is clear chaos in naming. And if it not just clear failure at naming then it is simply planned misinformation. And more than a reaction in form of confusion, I have the same reaction as for a salesmen that tells me that this balsam, he have for sale, causes a hair to grow back, cures cancer and supports body weight loss. I would not mind using that new Titan (except for price) but there is something fishy about the person that is trying to sell me it (the same person I remember that "was mistaken" about the 970 memory size).

Back when Titan's had the differentiation of Double Floating Point, there might have been a legit use case.

Now that Nvidia is pushing out Titan's that have 7% better specs at a 70% price bump, Legit is not a word I would use to describe the Titan Xp. Maybe amazing benchmark tests will change my mind.

They designed the 1080 Ti to crush the Titan XP. That was half their marketing on that card. Nobody was freaked out at nVidia.

( Titan X(pascal) owners reaction to 1080ti and titan Xpp launch)

This whole thing is very similar to how they launched the 780, titan, 780ti and titan black.

1 Like