Nvidia RTX 20XX Thread

AMD is doing Raytracing going forward, I believe. The 2080 series might not be doing much now but in a few months to a year it will probably be very forward thinking technology.

Chicken and egg.

Not for the faint of heart

1 Like

Sure. That has been the target for decades.

Same thing has been said when RTX launched. So far nothing happened.

2 Likes

That’s a stretch.

RTX Launch: September 2018

Since then:

• 3DMark implemented Ray Tracing testing
  • AMD announced Ray tracing development efforts, including mobile GPUs
  • Unreal Engine implemented Ray tracing support
  • Metro Exodus announced it
  • Some interesting research/predictions were made

Doing some poking around, it looks like there are a ton of releases coming out, including something called Notch and Unity.

So “nothing happened” is a bit disingenuous.

2 Likes

Half a year…

That is nothing.

1 Like

We must have different standards :wink: I consider that pretty significant for “”“new”"" technology.

Probably. If that is significant, mantle must have blown your mind.

2 Likes

It did! I thought it was a cool development. From what I understand it has inspired Vulkan.

Both I find vastly more exciting than RTX, but that’s for another day or thread I’m afraid :grin:

NVidia has completely buggered this, everything seems to be incredibly rushed. Real time ray tracing would be a cool technology without the laundry list of stars you have for it. Ideally they would have done normal rasterization for this generation of GPU’s while at the same time behind the scenes start the driver work and working with game developers. This would have allowed the 2nd gen to still kick ass and be leaps forward, wouldn’t have had the massive uptick in pricing while setting a base for the 3rd generation in both knowledge and game implementation. Instead it was here is 30 to 50% more cost… for 15 to 25% improvement but ray tracing*******************.

• Needs Windows implementation
  • Needs driver implementation
  • Needs developer implementation
  • Our most powerful cards require a biglier buy-in
  • If game doesn’t use RTX that silicon just sits idle
    etc, etc, etc.

I also think Jensen’s “It just works” is hurting, because for every single caveat that line is being trotted out. The cat is out of the bag, they are set on this path. Can only hope the 3XXX series actually will be much more user friendly.

2 Likes

Mother of all 2080 Ti’s is for sale… and cheaper than I thought it it would be. https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=11G-P4-2589-KR

Called it earlier…

RTX20xx is a stop-gap (or “developer preview”) card/series that will be short lived until 30xx comes out on 7nm with vastly improved performance.

Either that or RTX is DOA.

Upgrading to Turing from Pascal is nuts. May as well set money on fire.

Fair enough, its a decent upgrade if you’re on something earlier (in pure raster performance, the rtx is irrelevant), but if you’re on pascal, wait.

2 Likes