Nvidia policy

I’m not a gamer but glancing at this article I can’t help but feel this is a PR move by Nvidia with no teeth and will have no effect, what say you fellow levelone’ers?

Wccftech: NVIDIA Asks Retailers To Stop Selling To Miners & Sell To Gamers Instead. https://wccftech.com/nvidia-instructs-retailers-stop-selling-miners-sell-gamers/

This is absolutely a RP move by Nvidia, once the cards are in the hands of the retailers Nvidia really doesn’t have any control over who the cards are sold to. The wording of this from Nvidia is important as

which means Nvidia can suggest to retailers to limit cards per person but whether the retailers listens to them is another story entirely. What gets me the most about this though is that Nvidia really doesn’t need to do this. right now they have the cheaper cards compared to AMD and for the most part have more stock to move as it isn’t as risky for them to ramp up production of cards like it is for AMD.

Vega is still having so many issues getting off the ground with AIB partners. Practically the only AIB partner AMD doesn’t have to worry about is Apple, cause they have a fixed design for the iMac Pro with a Vega 56.

Nvidia can increase their fab process, but retailers are the ones setting the prices due to the market. If there were any solace, at least Nvidia isn’t encouraging the price gouging:

PR move to look good to gamers, to which they want to own the market… well… moreso than they already do.

I’d bet money that behind closed doors they don’t give a crap who’s buying as long as they’re plentiful in number.

Gamers didn’t buy AMD over nVidia when they were competitive, so AMD made options for the customers that DO choose them over the competition: blockchain compute users/miners. I can’t blame them, they’re courting the customers that keep them in business.