NVIDIA Geforce GT 740 Compatibility?

Hello again community!
I have been searching around for a new graphics card for my machine, and after many hours of searching, I have found a card that properly fits my needs. The only problem I am facing is knowledge on to whether this GPU will work properly on my PC.

In order to allow the most accurate support on this issue, I am going to list the majority of my system specs (Please refrain from laughing...).

• CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
  • Current GPU: 256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS (PNY)
  • PSU: Liteon 300W (Reply if model is needed)
  • Motherboard: ASUSTeK Berkeley IPIBL-LA
  • RAM: 5.00GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 333MHz (2GB Crucial Technology @ 400
    MHz, 1 GB Samsung M3 78T2863QZS-CF7 @ 400MHz, 2GB Samsung M3
    78T2953EZ3-CE6 @ 333MHz)

The card in which I wish to purchase is the NVIDIA Geforce GT 740. The exact model can be found here. (I am well aware that this is not a powerful card. I have no intention ever of running 4K, or maximum game settings with this card.)
Reasons for wanting this card:

1. Cheap
  2. Single Slot
  3. PCI Powered
  4. Capable of running required tasks (Vector Graphics, 720p-1080p Video, 720p low-medium gaming, etc)

So, will this card work on this PC?
Any help on this will be greatly appreciated!
--xVxM4tthewxVx

Card should work fine. However, you're better getting one with 1GB of GDDR5 instead of 2GB of DDR3. It can't take advantage of more RAM than that anyway and DDR3 is much slower and will hurt performance.

That being said there aren't too many single slot 740s.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133541&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Cheaper and should perform better.

Oh god... I clicked on your link and died a little inside.... 2GB of Vram is already pointless on that card... So why would they bother making a 4GB model...

If you want that card, go for it. But don't pay $90 for it. I'd say $50 at the most.

@Jason_Thongphetmanic Pointless? I am assuming your saying that because the card can't process enough graphics at once to use all 2GBs. Is that correct? And would you suggest any other card with equal performance?

From my experience, that kind of fan is very noisy. Would this be the case for the mentioned card?

Correct.

And no, the card is fine as long as you don't pay more than what I told you.

@Jason_Thongphetmanic I haven't found any 740's for sub $50.

Yeah. It isn't powerful enough and the bus isn't wide enough to use that much RAM.

I did suggest another card....
Really, for your situation the best you're gonna get is a 740. Your PSU is weak and you want something that is single slot. Yeah it has really awful price to performance but it is the best you're gonna get. The 740 I suggested makes more sense as the RAM is faster and it is cheaper.

You won't. IDK what he is smoking but you will never find a new 740 for $50. Even with sales and mail in rebates 65-70 is the range.

1 Like

It'll be fine. These cards hardly put out any heat so it won't be running very fast.

Well, my current PNY (8400 GS) has the same type of fan, and even if the card is cool, the fan runs 100% all the time. The sound drives me crazy! Is this just an issue with my card? Will that one adjust fan speed according to temperature?

Oh god. You guys are right. Why on gods earth would they charge that much for such a weak card... Terrible price/perf ratio.

2 Likes

Your card shouldn't run at 100% all the time. It is broken or really really dusty. It is an issue with your card.

They charge that much because they can. AMD is just as guilty with their 240. Low end hardware like this is always crap. People without much money or knowlege go for the cheapest option and it sells. They don't know that they could spend $20 more and double their performance.

But for OP's use case (not serious gaming, low budget (I'm assuming), low PSU power, and single slot design) it is really the only option.

If only I could afford the Titan X... :)

lol oddly enough, the Titan X is the same only on the other end of the spectrum. Bad price to performance. R9 295X2 is faster and $500 cheaper. Two 980s would be faster and cheaper.

1 Like

I took the card out, and I wasn't very dusty. However, the card is from 2007, so the fan could be damaged. The sound it makes is pretty gross. Its so loud and high pitched that I can hear it two rooms down the hall from the computer. Maybe the most annoying thing I have ever heard in my life.

What the crap? Same card, different price: http://www.amazon.com/PNY-VCGGT7401D3LXPB-GeForce-Express-DVI-D/dp/B00MLTMPT2. Was hoping it was available in the same price on Amazon, apparently not...

Just how it is sometimes.

Before I let this topic die, would you recommend any other card that will function in my machine (Price doesn't matter, I'm just curious). And is there any other useful info that would be helpful in GPU shopping?