Nvidia embraces competition in it's very own way

TLDR There are no more recent events after nvidia declared it ‘gave up’ on GPP.

Oh and Jensen Huang and Lisa Su are related in a convoluted way.

2 Likes

While the GPP has been tossed the ramifications still are coming out… and its great fodder considering all the recent unclear releases they have done.

Ah. I had not heard they gave up on it. Thanks man.
And that is interesting

sound is the important thing here, since the question really is if they will ever enforce it. I mean there’s two sides to a coin. If outlets don’t get samples from nvidia they can still buy them and still trash them so… basically what GamersNexus is doing.

According to TechPowerUp it is just business as usual and they are proud to have promptly signed the NDA when they got it. They also accuse Heise.de for being clickbait martyrs etc.

I think the NDA looks kinda like an employment thing, something companies make their workers sign. Maybe that’s how it is for tech jornos nowadays. shrugs I don’t think it is much of a thing TBH, but certainly doesn’t help Nvidias public image.

My guess is people who are outraged have never signed an NDA before.
I’ve signed several and this one is nothing out of the ordinary.

Also it’s off topic.

Which probably won’t stop this from being posted so I’ll save you the trouble.

7 Likes

I still have thoughts about the wording and I actually think that it is a direct reaction to what happened to GPP. But yes, so far everyone seems to be fine with it so, will wait and see.

2 Likes

Well, good information in that one. Basically what I read out of it as well.

It’s basically like reading a TOS, they intentionally leave it broad to not have to cover every edge case.

Wondering if L1 got one too or if they’re not even on nvidias radar.
summoning the @wendell

BTW funny, I hadn’t even noticed they had 2 paragraphs numbered 3.

Problem is: They sent it to Heise.de
A German website. And as many who have been here before, most Germans are able to communicate in some language based on English sounding words.
Understanding legal documents of any other country is a monumental task in itself. It is like someone from the US trying to decipher one of the official publications from the German Bundestag.

That said, after getting it explained by the GN video, it kind of makes sense but still sounds fishy after the GPP move.

1 Like

Lol, no. We’re a bit too fringe. I’m open to hiring some folks to help with content creation/testing/articles. I think I’m a better writer than I am on video. We have some stuff we’ve been working on for a while that will hopefully be out soon.

1 Like

I watched the GN video with the lawer and while he dismisses the “Solely for the benefit of Nvidia”. I think it is the stick that will be used or threatened against people who sign the document.
Because to fight it is a lawyers wet dream(as in winnable) and a Tech Tubers nightmare because its in court vs Nvidia’s deep pockets. While the case is being heard would it not be under NDA meaning no coverage until over. Otherwise it will cost you even more money and time in court to defend an attack from Nvidia should one come.
PR nightmare for Nvidia but gamers still seem to buy the best card / price regardless.

I think like others have said it is butt hurt from GPP. Tech tubers took down what was in Nvidia mind a winning blow for them. Nvidia is turning there eye on that weakness with real legal recourse.

I am no expert however.

1 Like

Well it’s the good old legalese <> plain English. Contract wordings doesn’t always mean what people think.

Also US law <> German law (common vs civil etc). I think that NDA has bit different meaning in Germany compared to the US. Also translation woes as already mentioned.

Nvidia are shady AF

It’s not off-topic in a discussion regarding Nvidia’s anti-consumer business practices.

Signing an NDA because you are working with a vendor on secret or pre-release gear as a technician is one thing. Signing an NDA that prevents you from doing your job (i.e., being an objective journalist) is entirely another.

Nvidia are sending these NDAs to journalists. Not people working with the hardware who may be exposed to secrets they could disclose to competitors.

I’ve signed NDAs before as well, and none of them have involved restrictions on my ability to comment on the product after the release date.

edit:
IMHO, this essentially means that anyone who is now getting Nvidia cards sent to them for review (by Nvidia, as opposed to retail purchase out of pocket) needs to have their reviews taken with a small ocean of salt.

It doesnt prohibit anyone from doing their job.

This one doesn’t either.

Last time I checked it was a GPP thread.

1 Like

It is, so technically the NDA stuff might be off topic. If that bothers you just make a new one about it and flag something so a moderator can move stuff.

Like I said, I think it is a reaction to the GPP stuff. And also most people seem to think it’s a nothingburger. So I’m not gonna bother.

Neither is nvidia’s. Read it. Understand it.
If you do neither, at least watch the GN video.

I don’t see how this is relevant to the GPP in any way.

4 Likes

That among many others comments,
is precisely why I posted it. :joy_cat: