Nvidia embraces competition in it's very own way

True, and there’s nothing wrong with that. 580 looked and ran like crap on 1440p and 2160p. I noticed an immediate difference in going from 970 to 1080, and the 1080Ti makes games I didn’t think much about look incredible.

At the time I bought each, they were cheaper than AMD’s Vega.

GPP has succeeded.

For transparency!

With all the crazy renaming, how long before we see CSA-style GPU sales?

I.e.:

Each year or two years you get a mystery shipment of the latest tier-equivalent GPU!
This help those poor, neglected, and unappreciated GPU manufacturers have a stable source of income.

I mean, with subscription models for everything from iPhones to monthly video game bundles to Adobe CC, companies are liable to think GPUs are the next step.

Nothing really new but this is probably the best place to put this.

7 Likes

I watched it and quite painfully recalled all of it through the years. Yuck.

1 Like

Like ermagerd, that is so not true!

Not sure if it’s necro already but topic still fits:

3 Likes

The original source (German):

Very interesting. This goes against every journalistic principle. I hope we will see more outlets talking about this.

2 Likes

Look up the variations of GT730’s.
Nvidia has been at this game for a long time.

1 Like

Probably not as many have already signed. At best it will be a comment that it is nothing special, just the ordinary thing. Nothing to see here citizen.

1 Like

citizen

5 Likes

ComputerBase released their statement and what they basically said is that this is mostly the usual stuff and that most of it is usually not enforced anyway, just legal stuff for their security.
Most of the industry is based on trust anyway.

What CB basically said is if they weren’t allowed to write whatever they want (minus the confidential stuff obviously, because that’s the whole point) they’d just stop working with nvidia, not like it would be the first time (they didn’t receive samples in the past).

So yeah… not much to see here. Blown a little out of proportion, also what Heise didn’t mention is that apparently they have a “history” with nvidia, I didn’t look into it though so IDK what that’s about.

Yeah, PC Games Hardware is basically in agreement with ComputerBase about this. Toms Hardware Deutschland is a bit more skeptic and “doesn’t like” the NDA but ultimately doesn’t see a major problem either. All three of them have signed the paper.

It would be interesting to compare an older NDA from Nvidia to this one.
I mean some things do sound very restrictive in this document.

1 Like

Nuh uh, don’t you dare besmirch NVidia! They are here to give us a CLEAR choice on what we are purchasing.

1 Like

This in particular:

There’s a GF108 (Fermi GTS440/GT630m) based GT730 that’s slower than a GK208 based GT710. :joy_cat:

1 Like

Clearly you can’t see how clear that is. It’s so clear its hard to read but its clear.

1 Like

Now I present OEM magic. Same chips with different specs

That’s not a techpowerup database mistake.
That’s third parties modifying bad quality chips under Nvidia’s guidance to squeeze out every cent. :smile_cat:

Been outta the loop since this started, can I have a tl;dr from somebody on the more recent events involving this?