Nvidia embraces competition in it's very own way

I think those are more or less from the same mold?

They are, more or less. From 27th january:

Interesting, I still remain skeptic.
Timestamped.

1 Like

I wonder if this Nvidia PR mess was based in fear or blind arrogance. AMD will have to release Navi some time and it was road mapped to tackle high end gaming where vega was as stepping stone. Maybe I am too confident that competition is coming back from the top to bottom.
Nvidia makes a ton of cash from the 1080ti being the sole gaming card. Before vega it was titans and $1200 but that ended.
Mining bubble aside of course. Mining has given AMD and Nvidia all the sales of every card made.

I’d say this may have been fear of/direct assault on vega mobile.

The Ryzen G series CPUs should scare the crap out of Nvidia at the low end. If not now, definitely there is writing on the wall. Fast forward a year or two when AMD is on 7nm and ship a Ryzen 3xxx G part with some onboard HBM and say 16 or 24 CUs…

Remember, vega architecture has high bandwidth cache, so it wouldn’t need much HBM on-board - HBCC is perfect for this sort of scenario - to speed up the card’s use of main memory.

I wouldn’t call the 1080 Ti the “sole gaming card”. i’m not sure what your local market is like, but i see very few 1080Tis. Most of the gamers I know are rocking 1060s, 1070s, 1080s, RX4xx/RX5xx or similar. Or older generation cards like 970s.

The only 1080Ti owners i personally know are mining with it.

Sure the 1080 Ti is ultra high end and has no competition. But few people actually buy them vs. the larger market. It’s a halo card.

2 Likes

Me either. I dont want to buy one but every tech tuber tests with them. That was my point the pinnacle of gaming is the 1080ti and 5.0-5.2 GHz intel processor.

You make very good points. I like many others live with an RX480 and game happily . AMD have the consoles market and mining aside the mid range market on the scoreboard for PC GFX cards.

Cause transparentcy you know like knowing what you can expect from Jen Hsen the man to trust…

5 Likes

[quote=“Marten, post:498, topic:125520, full:true”]
I wonder if this Nvidia PR mess was based in fear or blind arrogance. [/quote]

Blind arrogance. They tried to kill AMD in one fell stroke… and failed.

But mah techno-Jargon!!!

1 Like

youtubers test with the 1080Ti because the drooling masses want to see how hero cards perform and also the majority of testing they do is CPU related these days. the 1080Ti is the best card for getting rid of any GPU bottleneck as much as possible.

That is now 2 x GTX1030, 2 x GTX1050 and 3 x GTX1060 cards, all with massive performance differences.
Not to mention the Titans and mobile parts.

Yup, totally. :rofl:

1 Like

Strategy: release the higher performing part with same part number. Ship garbage that runs slower and people will remember the higher end spec review.

:ok_hand:

1 Like

That’s grounds for a class action lawsuit though if they can prove they intentionally shipped a lesser performing component than what they advertised.

Like the 3.5GB 970? Great, so you might end up getting ten bucks back for this one?
Also for it to be false advertisement, they would have to make claims about it.
And they deliberately didn’t.

1 Like

Seems accurate. I got $30 for the 970

Yeah, for a card 2x to 3x the price of a 1050 at MSRP. So 10,- bucks would be in line with that.

Ah, shoot, I misread. Didn’t catch the “this one”.

1 Like

The individual might get $10 back, but every little thing adds up. Those class action lawsuits costs companies millions both in monetary terms and public relations.

I think a good lawyer good argue that reviews can qualify as advertisements, especially when so many of them are bought and paid for.

Yup.

I’m sure people will get a happy meal worth of money out of it, if/when the class action goes ahead.

In the mean-time, the rest of the world gets nothing, etc.

Re-read however. Nvidia aren’t advertising the performance. Youtubers and other reviewers are of the original parts. By using the same model number however with minor “fine print” type BS to classify the new lower performance cards, the consumer is confused and nvidia are legally in the clear, mostly.

A good lawyer could try and argue that reviews are advertisements, but they’d either lose or lose on appeal is my bet.

I’m sure nvidia’s legal team is better than that. they’ve had plenty of experience at this point.

the fact that Nvidia pulled this GPP shit in order to “clarify the situation for gamers” is a total and complete farce. theyr’e making a mockery of the market; at this point i’m sure they’re seeing just how far they can take the piss.

The 970 class action probably cost Nvidia very little. They can minimise costs by giving vouchers only for those who mail in their proof of purchase. I know of no one who has seen a cent from it. Again, outside of the USA is a large market, and US class action lawsuits don’t do dick for any of the rest of us.

Class actions exist in other countries, not just the US. What makes you think I was speaking of just the US?

Of course, we could all just vote with our wallets and tell Nvidia to go fuck themselves when they pull shit like this, but the average buyer isn’t aware the shit they’ve pulled.

A lot are aware, just dont care

they want the latest shiny shiny and would never ever think of getting amd.

3 Likes