Nvidia embraces competition in it's very own way

I can imagine the line in the contract that makes them write that…

I’m gonna bet that this is pubicly over but behind closed doors not much is going to change and I wouldnt be surprised if anything semi simlar to this was not done behind closed doors before GPP

If only it was:

GPP is NO MORE
#Radeon #AMD #ROG

and then have that permanently as the last tweet from @ASUS_AREZ

3 Likes

Haven’t watched all of it yet, but at least the first three minutes are entertaining:

The initial ad spot is hilarious.

5 Likes

Added. Thanks.

He really struggled to keep it diplomatic and professional.
And … dat ad! LOL

“… big enough for nvidia to throw through my window if they don’t like this video.”

3 Likes

Lol, Burke is about as sick of marketing as I am. It is ridiculous and I’m soo sick of marketing and branding crap. Well well, it isn’t like the BS will stop any time soon. But always nice to know that you’re not alone being sick of it.

To be honest, I kind of agree that each company should have their own lineups from AIBs. But this was not the way to do it

RIP GPP

I kind of agree, but entrenched standards prevail. Every automaker has a different brand for their models with performance trim. It would’ve needed to have been done from the start or with significant time to develop marketing, not this half-assed horseshit. To have it pressed on them like this is not how developing an effective marketing campaign nor how brand image works.

This all went down while I was up in Charlotte really not paying attention to techy things and holy shit. This was out of left field. BUT the more I read the crap post from NVidia the more I’m disgusted by it:

Fuck you, seriously… fuck you. I researched my build for several months before pulling the trigger so eat a dick. This was before your GPP, I can tell the difference between Green and Red.

Again… fuck you. Are you saying I could slip, fall and accidentally buy an AMD graphics card? Really?

Did I mention fuck you? The same company who created a complete mess with 1030’s and 1060’s specs being different to the point where you have to learn the techno-jargon? Are you saying my feeble mind couldn’t understand the difference between a ROG NVidia product and ROG AMD product despite these nice little check marks on the filtering that would allow me to select AMD or NVidia GPU?

Just made them boot out a company you don’t want in their owned brands but if GPP didn’t change that you can certainly say so… truth is doesn’t back it up but you go girl.

Not really… because if there is a choice I won’t be purchasing an NVidia product.

Really not sure I’ll purchase a ROG product again since they were the fore runner and ground breaker of GPP.

Not like they had much of a choice really. And the other vendors did the exact same thing.

Just imagine they hadn’t followed and nvidia actually would have shifted supplies away from them towards the competition. That would be a disaster.

This was overall the logical choice because dispite what some people seem to believe, Asus is actually not a charity that cares only for their fans. The reality is that they are a company and have a responsibility to protect their bottom line and their investors.
If the above would have happened and investors would have lost a shitton of money, they as a company would be in huge trouble because that would have been irresponsible management.

Not all the vendors. Had they all rejected this monstrosity NVidia would have had nowhere to go with it and no one would have gained an advantage.

Uh yes. They all pulled their branding. And that had been happening way before the story broke.
Gigabyte for example even had that wonderful mishap where their gaming cards weren’t for gaming or something? I don’t remember exactly.

Not everyone got onboard… in fact that may have been what killed it, I suspect NVidia was ready for the legal fight but enough vendors said no. Shame for the ones that went with it.

Not sure who that would be. You have any examples? I’ll be happy to be convinced there were some, but I can’t think of any, especially since there aren’t a lot of vendors that shipped for both nvidia and AMD.

It was about making the choice clear by restricting you to one choice… and knowing what you’re buying because nvidia was the only cards branded as gaming cards.

Corporate double-speak at its finest.

edit:
Asrock specifically started shipping AMD cards during the GPP announcement. Another incentive for me to buy one of their motherboards.

That had nothing to do with each other lol. Introducing a new market segment takes years of planning in those kinds of businesses. So unless they have a crystal ball this is just a happy coincidence they could leverage.

Apparently Dell and HP did not climb the train.

But would it? If MSi, Asus, Gigabyte, etc. had stuck together and all said no, who would they sell to?
“Mimimi business decision” only works when there is only one option, and clearly there wasn´t. All of those companies could taken the GPP contract and handed it into the legal system. Problem solved!

Lets say 2 years development for ASRocks first set of GPUs and 6 months marketing prepwork. I bet some insider spread the word about GPU development and told Nvidia about ASRock or vice versa. And in the end, ASRock had the perfect date to launch product.

1 Like

2 years for asrock to develop an AMD GPU?

Buy reference design, fit a bigger cooler and fans.

If they can’t get a design out inside of 3-6 months, there’s something wrong.