Nvidia embraces competition in it's very own way

Pretend to believe me regarding what exactly?

Ah… nevermind I missed the point of your post. I better go to sleep.

Added to OP, thanks. :+1:

Forbes and PCper have picked it up already but since there is no additional information I won’t add links.

I saw a tweet that HP and Dell are the only two vendors with kaby-lake G products.
I’m not sure if that is accurate but probably worth to keep an eye on.

From the latest Videocardz.com Rumor Roundup:

We exclusively told you that ASUS is in the process of making new series of graphics cards. Those series were made specifically for Radeon cards. As it turns out, we were right and ASUS already has a website dedicated to new series (but so far rather empty of any products).

The AREZ series will be ASUS’ response to NVIDIA’s GeForce Partner Program, which requires dedicated gaming series for GeForce products only. Therefore, AREZ series should theoretically replace ASUS as a brand on marketing materials.

AMD are doing the right thing.

Whether that is out of a belief or out of necessity remains to be seen, but supporting open standards, providing open source code drivers and open GPU libraries is a hell of a lot “better” than what Nvidia have been doing, ever.

Not sure why some think that gpp or anything else will have an influence on the goldmine that amd is, no worries it will not. Perhaps they won’t get a zephyrus laptop version or whatever, but thinking that no one will want to have anything to do with amd is out of their mind. amd is a goldmine for those not signing on gpp or similar

I don´t think so.
AMD holds 10% marketshare in dedicated graphics? How many not-techy people you know have an idea what AMD is versus how many know what Nvidia and Intel are? Anything that takes focus away from AMD is bad for AMD. In this case, the EU commission for competition agrees that GPP is worth an investigation.

HP and Dell would sign on the GPP if it were not for Intel saying no (OEM without CPU does not work) and them beeing in legal trouble for unfair practices in the past.

1 Like

Agree, nothing new, it’s become market tradition after all these years. What i meant by goldmine is that, business comes first and amd is in business. So even though nvidia and intel strategies will have their effect on the market, amd will still be in business.

If amd have not got the attention and influence it should have, years ago it’s most likely not getting it now, though this is only for the market we see. I’ll bet amd does even better in asian markets, if not now then later.

The EU can investigate much as it wants, these are global western markets and it doesn’t seem that’s going to change. You’ve probably already seen the stuff these tech giants do. Damage now, extend court time, pay fine later when the money’s already been made. As long as those kind of practices are allowed, it’ll probably continue. That includes with or without the EU commission. If they were interested in stopping those market practices, they would have done so years ago, this isn’t exactly news. It’s being going on for quite a while

So what you meant by goldmine is surviving?

They aren’t. That’s why they are fined.

1 Like

They don´t. Their best market is North America and the EU.

1. The practices are illegal
  2. Exploiting the ways of legal systems does not make anything legal
  3. In theory, the EU could ban Nvidia products. That would be very drastic, but it could be done.

No, meant goldmine by charging ridiculous prices, for already cheaper hardware alternatives. Which some will/still do and is nothing new either. One example could be the GL702ZC initially selling for 1.995 USD, (in stock) Now at 2.744 USD. I’m sure there are enough examples of it. Either way, they’ll survive. If not by consumers, by oil money, just like last time, before ryzen.

And you know this how? :thinking:

Tell that to tech lawyers and anyone in business or other, remotely linked to law. they’ll disagree between themselves. As long as it’s within the law, 0 comments are given. Unless your purse talks for you

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-rog-strix-gl702zc-17-3-laptop-amd-ryzen-7-16gb-memory-amd-radeon-rx-580-1tb-hard-drive-256gb-ssd-metallic-black/6112558.p?skuId=6112558

Just one example but that seems good enough for you so …

But let’s get back to GPP, please.

Well, here is AMD’s answer:

https://gaming.radeon.com/en/radeon-a-gamers-choice/

The full text

Our proud pastime of PC gaming has been built on the idea of freedom. Freedom to choose. How to play the game. What to do and when to do it. And specifically, what to play it on. PC gaming has a long, proud tradition of choice. Whether you build and upgrade your own PCs, or order pre-built rigs after you’ve customized every detail online, you know that what you’re playing on is of your own making, based on your freedom to choose the components that you want. Freedom of choice is a staple of PC gaming.

Over the coming weeks, you can expect to see our add-in board partners launch new brands that carry an AMD Radeon product. AMD is pledging to reignite this freedom of choice when gamers choose an AMD Radeon RX graphics card. These brands will share the same values of openness, innovation, and inclusivity that most gamers take to heart. The freedom to tell others in the industry that they won’t be boxed in to choosing proprietary solutions that come bundled with “gamer taxes” just to enjoy great experiences they should rightfully have access to. The freedom to support a brand that actively works to advance the art and science of PC gaming while expanding its reach.

The key values that brands sporting AMD Radeon products will offer are:

• A dedication to open innovation – AMD works tirelessly to advance PC gaming through close collaboration with hardware standards bodies, API and game developers, making our technologies available to all to help further the industry. Through our collaboration with JEDEC on memory standards like HBM and HBM2, Microsoft on DirectX and Khronos on Vulkan, and through the GPUOpen initiative where we provide access to a comprehensive collection of visual effects, productivity tools, and other content at no cost, we’re enabling the industry to the benefit of gamers.

• A commitment to true transparency through industry standards – Through industry standards like AMD FreeSync technology, we’re providing the PC ecosystem with technologies that significantly enhance gamers’ experiences, enabling partners to adopt them at no cost to consumers, rather than penalizing gamers with proprietary technology “taxes” and limiting their choice in displays.

• Real partnerships with real consistency – We work closely with all our AIB partners, so that our customers are empowered with the best, high-performance, high quality gaming products and technologies available from AMD. No anti-gamer / anti-competitive strings attached.

• Expanding the PC gaming ecosystem – We create open and free game development technologies that enable the next generation of immersive gaming experiences across PC and console ecosystems. These efforts have resulted in advancements such as AMD FreeSync adoption on TVs for Xbox One S or X, integration of forward looking “Vega” architecture features and technologies into Far Cry 5 without penalizing the competition, and inclusion of open sourced AMD innovations into the Vulkan API which game developers can adopt freely.

We pledge to put premium, high-performance graphics cards in the hands of as many gamers as possible and give our partners the support they need without anti-competitive conditions. Through the support of our add-in-board partners that carry forward the AMD Radeon RX brand, we’re continuing to push the industry openly, transparently and without restrictions so that gamers have access to the best immersive technologies, APIs and experiences.

We believe that freedom of choice in PC gaming isn’t a privilege. It’s a right.

1 Like

I’m waiting to find out if my AMD motherboard will lose the ROG tag. I know when the 3 series Ryzen processors come out I’ll be looking away from these guys that went all in on the GPP.

The only company that went all in on GPP is Nvidia.
If you want to vote with your wallet, do it right.
Stop buying Nvidia products.

1 Like

If AMD would make the products available I would have… shame that boat sailed months ago and I won’t be buying anything new anytime soon. Still fucked up the forced branding change and I don’t have to support companies that relented to the strong arming and probably illegal tactics by Nvidia. This will hurt AMD for a long time to come. NVidia didn’t have to pull this stunt… they could have done just fine operating business as usual.

Kyle Bennett and Jason Evangelho have written up a bit of background story regarding AMD’s Scott Herkelman on [H]ardOCP and a short analysis of Herkelman’s post targeting Nvidia’s GPP on Forbes.

Also, here is a little message from videocardz.com’s twitter:

3 Likes

Don’t forget the console market for GPUs.

I’ll just leave this here…

I may have shared that tweet with Nvidia, woops.

1 Like

I mean, it could happen to everyone. … Right?

Right, EVERYONE?

Yay marketing programs and marketing deals. Business as usual, not really anything we can do about it.