[Solved] Nvidia code 43 on win10 vm

Finally got my gpu passed through only to be hit with code 43 from nvidia. I’ve added the

<vendor_id state=‘on’ value=‘1234567890ab’/>
<hidden state=‘on’/ >

When those didn’t work I dumped my vbios and added

<rom file=’/home/wyon/VM/image.rom’/ >

(I put the space at the end because without it was making the line disappear for some reason.)
This gives me a new error:

Error starting domain: internal error: qemu unexpectedly closed the monitor xxxxx qemu-system-x86_64:-device vfio- pci,host=02:00.0,id=hostdev0,bus=pci.7,addr=0x0,romfile=/home/wyon/VM/image.rom: failed to find romfile “/home/wyon/VM/image.rom”

The file is definitely in that directory so I have no clue what’s causing that. Google has provided me with many other people that have had a similar problem but I’ve found no answers. Any idea why it’s not finding a file that’s already there? Other than that are there any other fixes outside of directing it to the romfile?

It is possible that Libvirt/QEMU does not have permission to access the file. Make sure that the rom file has execute and read permissions for all users.

chmod +xr /home/wyon/VM/image.rom should do it.

if you’re on q35 4 and up you need

<ioapic driver='kvm'/>

in the features second as well. try that line without passing the rom, you probably didn’t change the offset correctly if you got it off techpowerup.

Unsure if a typo or missing from your config:

<vendor_id state=‘on’ value=‘1234567890ab’/>
<hidden state='on/>

missing an ’ in 'on/>. Should be ‘on’/>

It didn’t seem to change anything with the finding the rom file. I had the same thought originally but I think I used the wrong command, lol.

When I try this I get this

error: XML document failed to validate against schema…

That was a simple typo on my part, my XML is correct.

Here’s my XML via pastebin. I used Virtual Machine Manager to make it rather than write it out myself. This may be part of the problem but I think that’s unlikely.

reason my suggestion didn’t work is that you’re on q35-3.1, not 4

are you booting the machine with spice/qxl attached?

Yes, it’s how I found out I had code 43.

remove them

Starts to black screen

alright, probably gonna need a vbios then. If your dumped one doesn’t work pick one up from techpowerup (might need to add a 15k offset but they’re clean otherwise)

Is the 15k offset you speak of where you remove the top portion of the file with a hex editor? I’ve added the default rom without editing and am met with the rom file not found error.
filenotfound

Is the GTX1080ti in the first slot on the motherboard when you are dumping the vBIOS?

No, it’s in the secondary slot. I have a rx470 in the primary.

probably a permissions issue but not sure exactly which one, Ill look into it for you.

You can also ask around on the TPP discord.

Thank you, I really appreciate it.

np man its what we do

here’s that chat in the meantime:

wait a sec you’re not on seabios are you?

Sonofabiscuit it is. I assumed VMM would use OVMF by default.

gotta set it, thats the problem with almost complete certainty since you need x-gpu (and a lot of times the governor patch) for seabios passthrough.

After switching to ovmf all I had to do was the vendor id hack and everything is working swimmingly! Thanks so much for the help!

1 Like