Return to Level1Techs.com

Nvidia code 43 on win10 vm

Finally got my gpu passed through only to be hit with code 43 from nvidia. I’ve added the

<vendor_id state=‘on’ value=‘1234567890ab’/>
<hidden state=‘on’/ >

When those didn’t work I dumped my vbios and added

<rom file=’/home/wyon/VM/image.rom’/ >

(I put the space at the end because without it was making the line disappear for some reason.)
This gives me a new error:

Error starting domain: internal error: qemu unexpectedly closed the monitor xxxxx qemu-system-x86_64:-device vfio- pci,host=02:00.0,id=hostdev0,bus=pci.7,addr=0x0,romfile=/home/wyon/VM/image.rom: failed to find romfile “/home/wyon/VM/image.rom”

The file is definitely in that directory so I have no clue what’s causing that. Google has provided me with many other people that have had a similar problem but I’ve found no answers. Any idea why it’s not finding a file that’s already there? Other than that are there any other fixes outside of directing it to the romfile?

0 Likes

It is possible that Libvirt/QEMU does not have permission to access the file. Make sure that the rom file has execute and read permissions for all users.

chmod +xr /home/wyon/VM/image.rom should do it.

0 Likes

if you’re on q35 4 and up you need

<ioapic driver='kvm'/>

in the features second as well. try that line without passing the rom, you probably didn’t change the offset correctly if you got it off techpowerup.

0 Likes

Unsure if a typo or missing from your config:

<vendor_id state=‘on’ value=‘1234567890ab’/>
<hidden state='on/>

missing an ’ in 'on/>. Should be ‘on’/>

0 Likes

It didn’t seem to change anything with the finding the rom file. I had the same thought originally but I think I used the wrong command, lol.

When I try this I get this

error: XML document failed to validate against schema…

That was a simple typo on my part, my XML is correct.

Here’s my XML via pastebin. I used Virtual Machine Manager to make it rather than write it out myself. This may be part of the problem but I think that’s unlikely.

0 Likes

reason my suggestion didn’t work is that you’re on q35-3.1, not 4

are you booting the machine with spice/qxl attached?

0 Likes

Yes, it’s how I found out I had code 43.

0 Likes

remove them

0 Likes

Starts to black screen

0 Likes

alright, probably gonna need a vbios then. If your dumped one doesn’t work pick one up from techpowerup (might need to add a 15k offset but they’re clean otherwise)

0 Likes

Is the 15k offset you speak of where you remove the top portion of the file with a hex editor? I’ve added the default rom without editing and am met with the rom file not found error.
filenotfound

0 Likes

Is the GTX1080ti in the first slot on the motherboard when you are dumping the vBIOS?

0 Likes

No, it’s in the secondary slot. I have a rx470 in the primary.

0 Likes

probably a permissions issue but not sure exactly which one, Ill look into it for you.

You can also ask around on the TPP discord.

0 Likes

Thank you, I really appreciate it.

0 Likes

np man its what we do

here’s that chat in the meantime:

0 Likes

wait a sec you’re not on seabios are you?

0 Likes

Sonofabiscuit it is. I assumed VMM would use OVMF by default.

0 Likes

gotta set it, thats the problem with almost complete certainty since you need x-gpu (and a lot of times the governor patch) for seabios passthrough.

0 Likes

After switching to ovmf all I had to do was the vendor id hack and everything is working swimmingly! Thanks so much for the help!

1 Like