nVidia and AMD SLI?

Hello everyone,

über-noob here!

Is it possible to utilize a GTX 1080 and an R9 390 together either for gaming, editing, or photoshop?

I was under the impression you could with some fiddling but I really need some help on this one :slight_smile:

Thank you for your time!

In theory, you could use DX12 to make use of both cards as a united computing pool.
Implementing this on your own is probably good enough to get you a job as developer :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

In short, not really, you’d be WAY better off with just picking the better card and selling the other (or if you have yet to buy the r9 390, getting a matched pair of 1080’s instead).

But technically for productivity applications running parallel compute or render via something like openCL then yes, and scaling should theoretically still be good. You obviously can’t use CUDA, which can be faster in normal single\matched card configuration for around half the apps that support it, but chances are it’ll be faster than either one of the cards on their own still.

For games, in theory one or two may allow it to work, but I think it needs to be running in DX12 Multi-GPU Explicit Multi-Adapter mode, which means developer support, and then your still setting yourself up for a world of hurt due to random bugs, poor frame timings and the like… Ashes of singularity has a speacil build to allow you to do this, but its strictly experimental.

Finally for tasks like cyrpto coin mining, Folding At Home, or other pool based compute, there is no difficulty or reason to ensure cards are even remotely similar, so go nuts and run whatever you want.

2 Likes

Radeon ProRender will also use both cards if that’s a use-case in consideration.

http://www.amd.com/en-us/innovations/software-technologies/radeon-pro-technologies/radeon-prorender

2 Likes

Yeah its OpenCL based, and pretty much all OpenCL stuff will.

2 Likes

Technically yes, recommended? No. Just stick with one GPU. Games these days doesn’t have great support for SLI or crossfire anyway. And mixing those two is just an invitation for headaches and problems.

2 Likes