Nvidia allegedly payed off OriginPC to drop AMD card

Honestly, Nvidia sort of lost my respect with the whole Titan shenanigan. They thought that AMD were going to release a new card, so they release some silly card, which wasn't as good as promised, with a $1000 price point. Now they are empty-handed with no cards to play.

Heh, yeah. Those commercials made me laugh.

This doesn't.

Your profile picture alone with that quote made this hilarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eH6XayaLTw8

AMD's not really making a profit off of much, sure they sell the cards cheap as hell, but that's just to create a monopoly. By undermining Nvidia, they want to create a monopoly, in which no innovation will occur, and AMD will choose to price however they want...

This is largely how most companies work.

Uh.... what? It's monopolistic if AMD has most of the market, but it's not monopolistic if Nvidia has most of it (which has been the situation for years)?

If Nvidia is in trouble, and they could very well be in some deep trouble right about now, it's Nvidia's own fault.

I don't know why it matters companies pay to have other companies use there product not that weird.  I don't see any thing wrong to stop using another product because the other company is willing to pay for it and most likely cut you a deal on theirs.

I care about it because it is bad for us, the consumers. We want to get the best hardware for the best price and these business practices are just companies cheating. They could spend the money on development and come along with good stuff that everyone will buy deliberately because it is good and not because they are paid to do so

Update: http://semiaccurate.com/2013/10/07/nvidias-program-get-oems-like-origin-pc-dump-amd-called-tier-0/

They're talking a lot about "sources" in that article, and they have no real way to substantiate a lot of it, but if that's all true, Nvidia could be in for a pretty big lawsuit.

Not really cheating the businesses can choose who they want to partner with based on the benefits of the different companies(in this case da $$$).  If you want the best hardware have a different company build your computer or build your own.....I can not say about the other things that Nvidia was said to have done to AMD though Origin pc but that is a different problem from paying them to not use AMD.  Paying someone to trash talk the other company is not ok.

AMD could file an anti compete lawsuit if this is true. Outside of that considering I have never bought and never plan to buy an origin pc. Whatever they wish to do isn't gonna encourage nor discourage my decision to give them my money. I build my own computer systems and anyone that wants an amd card could always just add one after they bought an origin pc if they desire. Sure origin pc might decide to pull a dick move and void your 1 year or whatever warranty they offer or extension you bought. There are other companies that will happily build a pc for you like digital storm with an amd card. Happy hunting. :)

Even after watching the latest Linus stream where he was discussing how Nvidia was so far ahead of AMD that he theorized that they held back the titan which was going to be the equivalent of what the 680 is now because AMD had nothing even close to it.

Every year Intel and Nvidia release new products 10-15% better than the last somebody's got to be "bottlenecking" that. Intel's market cap is $100B and Nvidia's is $7-8B and AMD's is only $5-6B tell me who has the most research funding?

Nvidia even has a card that hasn't been announced yet I assume it's for if AMD brings out something faster than the Titan.

Nvidia did not "hold back" the Titan. It was made for the professional market and not immediately used for gaming because it's terribly inefficient at that, going by die size, transistors, and cost (which all ~double)  compared to performance benefits (+~30% performance) over the 680.

Research funding doesn't mean much. I mean...let's look at some technologies coming over the horizon:

Nvidia: There's Project Denver, I guess. That's an ARM SoC made for workstations and HPCs. ARM SoCs already exist and are quite plentiful, I'm not sure how Denver plans differentiate itself.

Intel: 14nm manufacturing process, which they will use to.... most likely lower power usage. Maybe they'll pack more horsepower into their iGPU so that they might hope to catch up to AMD in that department.

AMD: HSA and TrueAudio are both new tech with no real analog on currently-available systems. The idea behind Mantle isn't new, but it is an initiative with a huge potential for increasing performance on PC games.

Also, what is this unannounced Nvidia card? Are you referring to the GK180, a fully-unlocked GK110?

Well they have 2 new cards a dual GPU and a single GPU I don't know much about them although Maxwell is coming out Q1 next year. It could either be a 760 ti or maybe something more powerful than a Titan as least I got the feeling it would be more powerful watching linus's stream. The dual GPU is most likely just 2 slightly underclocked 780's put together at least that's what it usually is.

Secretly bribing companies not to use your competitors product is not part of fair and clean competition, going down this road of cheating is not a good idea. Whats to stop them bribing review sites, sending people over to peoples houses to 'convince them' that they should give them preferential treatment etc..etc.. Some companies have even tried to have their competitors killed off. You just cant trust these cowboys who don't have any ethics.

If this is true then Nvidia is just as bad as intel and apple, which it probably is with their anti-competitive vendor locking, their voltage locking and their pricing which is having a toxic affect on the industry. Then they throw fits like when they didn't get the contract for the consoles, despite AMD clearly having a better product with their APU, shared memory and their multi-platform low-level API.

Meh nothing will come of this, Nvidia will receive a slap on the wrist and go about there day.
Jacobite- "Then they throw fits like when they didn't get the contract for the consoles, despite AMD clearly having a better product with their APU, shared memory and their multi-platform low-level API." You do know that Sony went to Nvidia first right? And Nvidia said no they don't want to make chips for the PS4.

nVidia has a history of unethical business practices, remember the beginning of the year when they paid off two AMD employees for industrial espionage?

Thing is, up until last year, nVidia has made the right business choices, they made smaller, simpler cards with smaller lithos. The die on an nVidia card is very very small, so the cards are really cheap to manufacture, and on a locked down platform, they can be made to perform better, so nVidia could ask more for less, so they made a lot of money, and with that money they could stay in front of AMD, by buying whatever assets necessary...

Thing is, the world has been evolving to open platforms for the last 10 years, and now this is really becoming a thing. And with open platforms come open standards, and with open standards comes more fair competition, so suddenly the nVidia cards - that still perform great on closed platforms with proprietary software and proprietary benchmarks - are not so great anymore in comparison to the AMD cards, that are brute force cards, a lot of transistors, a large die, lots of functionality that isn't that much software dependent as it is multi-functionall. AMD cards can be used as a kind of co-processor on open platform computers, the whole litecoin-craze and 4 hours hashcat windows password hacks on linux machines have shown that. On closed platforms, open standards software is still being held down, but on open platforms, nVidia - that has always invested enormously in drivers - can't make the drivers enhance the performance of their simpler hardware anymore, and they are having serious problems selling their closed concept to the enterprise market. In the end, when it comes to graphics, AMD cards are a better choice because of their multi-functional, complex but accessible, design, even though AMD doesn't have access to the small lithography fabrication that nVidia and Intel use. But nVidia and Intel think that they can get away with anything, but they are forgetting that Samsung has access to even smaller litho fab than the both of them together.

And that's the whole point: the gravitional point of the entire industry has shifted. Intel and nVidia have dug in, both on their own familiar soil, but the battle is moving to another area.

Not everything is hunky dory with AMD either, they are struggling because they offer their cards and CPUs, both of which are much more expensive to make than the nVidia or Intel counterparts, for a much lower price, so they are making very little money on them in comparison to the profit margins that nVidia and Intel can show. AMD technology is just as advanced as nVidia or Intel technology, but they differ in two things: they don't have access to the same small litho fabs, and they keep their hardware as open as possible, both in the CPU market (anything can run on an AMD CPU, all AMD CPUs are full featured, have hardware virtualization, and are unlocked), and the GPU market (the cards are incredibly full featured on open platforms in comparison to nVidia and Intel graphics solutions, DPM is in the linux kernel for open source drivers, open source drivers are sponsored by AMD, etc...).

There will always be marketing, there will always be guys on YouTube praising this or that, fact is, there is also an economic crisis, and marketing and sales people, that were the gods of the 90's, are losing their jobs, and less is spent on marketing. People have less money available to invest in hardware, and they want the best hardware they can get for their money, and that often includes spending less on software, which is incredibly expensive, whereas the (most often much better) alternative is completely free. Some choices are easy to make, buying an SSD and using linux instead of a Windows DVD is such an easy choice. And once people use an open platform, and aren't locked into the commercial software maelstrom anymore, they start to really think about what they can effectively do with their hardware, and suddenly the AMD offering, both CPUs and GPUs, becomes very interesting and cost-effective.

And that will evolve even further in most parts of the world, and in the end, nVidia will not only have to lower its price, it will also have to do freebies in order to make people use their GPUs, because nVidia GPUs are very simple and not as flexibel as AMD GPUs on an open platform, just because there are less transistors, and there is less memory bandwidth, and they can't let the open source community optimize their drivers, etc... and the whole situation might invert: nVidia might have to sell for less and make less profit, thereby not having enough money anymore to fund R&D, and AMD might make it's products more expensive again, making more profit, and having the money again to built products based on smaller litho fabrication...

Their pricing has been horrible in comparison though, just like Intel. At least Nvidia is catching up on that (read: lowering their prices to better reflect the performance).

Sad to read it though, every idiot has an IntelNvidia combo and the large majority of premade pc's are IntelNvidia combo's. How much more do you need to sell? Monopoly isn't allowed so it would be in their own interest to keep a somewhat healthy competition around... If AMD ever gets screwed over by either Intel or Nvidia you'll see even less innovation and improvement in cpu's or gpu's, it's bad enough as it is. Too high prices for too little gains? Come on... you can't just sit by and justify this.

Just don't do a useless investigation and fine them because that doesn't help anyone other than Nvidia itself who will just bill the customers and make more money...

Look into 3dfx - nvidia dispute and form an opinion then.

Also Creative and Aureal.

Also Intel and AMD during netburst and nehalem-today period.

A bunch of corporatist assholes who don't support healthy and constructive competition. Yeah I'm reffering to both sides, look at AMD's ads for instance, they always attack nvidia.