Nvidia adds telemetry to it's latest drivers

AMD with the open drivers on Linux...I think the HCC/C++ and cuda libraries are independent. It is the utilities that will have the telemetry.

1 Like

Curiousity on my end.

1. Does anybody see AMD doing this as well?

2. Does AMD have a chance at more market share with this issue on the rise now?

I just want a market where the consumer wins and not this crap

1. Nobody have reported anything about that yet.
  2. I personally saw 1 tweet about the topic and never saw anything else. All big tech outlets have just ignored the thing.
  1. Yes.
  2. I dont realy think so.

Reason number 25,251 that I fucking hate advertising.

3 Likes

I was just installing my GTX970 after a fresh install yesterday on Linux. The driver is fine, but since Linux doesn't have GeForce Experience we are ok for now... I am still considering a AMD card for my upgrade maybe in the next year or so. Then again I haven't been gaming as much

Read this article that breaks down whats being down and does packet analysis of whats actually being transmitted. That reddit thread is full of people not understanding whats actually happening and people completely do not understand whats being done. Also the EULA analysis in the Reddit post was on the Nvidia EULA, NOT the Geforce Experience EULA.

The point is that GFE uses data to build user profiles around games. That type of data collection is not new to nVidia. Origin and Steam collect similar hardware-level data.

Chill the fuck out.

GFE is also collecting the following information:

GPU specification & vendor
GPU clock speed / overclocks
Monitor and display resolution
Driver settings for specific games (e.g. G-Sync toggling, type of anti-aliasing used)
Resolution, quality settings for specific games
Games and applications installed (e.g. Origin, Steam, Counter-Strike: GO, Overwatch)
Memory capacity
CPU specification
BIOS revision and motherboard

nay, they are not doing it.

Its not in their T&C's and i have not seen anything in my pockets indicating that goes to AMD. Thus so far AMD is clean. Recently they've even removed trash from their drivers that most likely had something. It was a gaming/social media platform or something.

1 Like

opensource may contain it, as long as the code is not indicative or contains any licensed data. If they've developed it themselves its likely it'll contain something lighter.

How to disable Nvidia's Telemetry process

https://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/software/how_to_disable_nvidia_s_telemetry_process/1

I'm not a fan of telemetry on my hard ware and I have been using Nvidia since the 8800gts but my issue is this if I were to build a new rig today I would still be going with Nvidia because amd doesn’t have a card that can rival the power of the 1070 or 1080 their rx 480 can rival Nvidia 1060 but can't compete with the 1070 or 1080 especially on Linux. I hope this changes and I hope Amd comes out with a more powerful card and better support for Linux in the near future because right now it feels like Nvidia has a monopoly on the 1070 and 1080.

Fury.

I'll say it again and again: VOTE WITH YOUR MONEY! Companies do not give a single shit about customer experience, privacy or actual progress in the development of new technologies as long as they are making shittons of cash.

So if you don't like what a company is doing, stop buying their shit!

1 Like

Yes but have you tried a Fury or Fury x under Linux and compared that to a 1070 because that is where my issue is on top of that none of the fury cards that I have seen go past 4gb of vram.

Sapphire Fury Nitro running ubuntu 16.10 with AMDGPU-PRO drivers. Just finished Firewatch the other day.

Alright so the stability is good but like I said if I were to build a new system today would I really go with a system that only has a max of 4gb of vram vs going with a card that has 6gb or 8gb like the 1070. On top of that fire watch is not a very demanding game try playing Dus Ex mankind divided with everything set to ultra. On a side note how was Firewatch it looks like an interesting game.

The Fury is good for $300, but only 4 GB VRAM, granted it is HBM. But even the Fury X loses to the GTX 1070.

wow, still trying to milk users even after they pay the premium for their gpu's

1 Like

Yeehaw for more VRAM but that is 100,- to 200,- bucks more in price.

The choice is yours. That is my point.

If you think you need a (marginally) faster GPU and you absolutely need to spend more money to the company you can't stand... because your survival depends on playing on ultra (aka stupid mode) for bragging rights, then that is your choice.

But if you are interested in playing games (and I mean more than one or two) because it is fun and if you like to support competition and more open standards and if you like to use your cards for more than 18-24 months and if you don't want to pay nvidia for all the shit they have done with gameworks and g-sync and their pricing BS and now this....then that also can be your choice.

Look, I won't tell you what to do. But to say "there is no choice" is wrong. So when you bend over and pay nvidia to keep doing what they are doing, don't be surprised by what you get.

It is short and to easy and not really a game. But it is beautiful and it can make you think ... and feel.
Buy it on sale but buy it with the soundtrack.

That sounds interesting and I might pick it up I wonder if Firewatch has a life is strange feel to it.

GamersNexus article

First off, I know that the drivers have pretty much always have collected at least some amount of data. In my experience the data has been during crashes (in my case mostly happened while overclocking), and in those cases a pop-up came up and asked if I wanted to send a bug report. I did not send that information since typically it was a failure that I caused and not a fault in the drivers them self. If the crash happened while gaming I would send the data off since I am unsure if my OC caused the crash or if it was an actual bug in the driver or game and therefore needs to have Nvidia's attention.

With the newest update this information is sent in the background and are seemingly non optional. This information harvesting is something that you can not opt-out of (yes you can edit the start up files but you shouldn't have to). I have seen the argument of "if you don't want people to get your data, stay off the internet" in defense of this data collection. I can see how one would come to this logically, but it is a flawed logic. A GPU driver is for all intents and purposes non-optional and you need the drivers to preform correctly, while actually signing up for online services (ie Facebook, twitter, forums, youtube ect.) are completely optional, you do not need to do it to use your computer properly. How I see it there is a reasonable expectation to privacy with core components of your system, and that expectation goes on to no matter how you use your system that those components do not report your actions to anyone. That does not go for services that you may or may not sign up for, since those services all of terms of service you agree to and are completely optional to your computing experience.

The data they collect is explained in the article linked above, as being able to offer better settings to the end-user via GFE, and better demographic data to game devs at an aggregate level which is not supposed to to be able to personally identify the end user(I am skeptical on how aggregated the data actually is). The latter is the more concerning although both have potential to be abused. The fact that game devs get even aggregate level information on the percentage of users use which hardware is scary enough, before they had to more or less guess which percentage of users had what hardware based on steam hardware survey, or if the game had some form of data collection built in(which I am sure would cause an uproar too). (side note on that statement, I know some games can recommend settings based on hardware, but to my knowledge this is all on the client side of things and do not report that information to the devs) This is scary since this leads to the possibility of game devs putting in ads or how they would put it "convenient partner recommendations" of upgrades to your rig to get a better "experience" right in game or in the setting menu.

This type of behavior is the type that has made me not recommend Windows 10 to people who are either unable to or unwilling to check to make sure their settings are what they want. This is something I do begrudgingly because I want to see what DX12 can do for games, and performance in general. This is going to cause me to think twice before recommending Geforce cards to the uninformed and new to gaming on PC, especially if they do indeed go more in depth with data collection.

2 Likes