Nvidia 465 beta passthrough

Hello all. Been a long time since I have posted here on the forums so I apologize if this isn’t the correct place to post this.

So in the past I have tried doing passthrough for a gpu to a Windows VM in Arch/Manjaro, but just couldn’t get it to work. Though now that Nvidia has released the 465 driver with passthrough enabled I thought I would give it a try again. I recently built a new comp and got lucky with a friend surprising me with a 3070. In my desktop currently I have my 1650 Super as my Manjaro GPU. I would like to use my 3070 for the Windows 10 VM. Right now I just am unsure of how to get Virtual Box to use my 3070. I am not sure if Virtual Box is the proper VM software to use or if I should use something else that is better. I am still very much a noob with VM software and Arch/Manjaro. Any help is very greatly appreciated.

PC Specs just in case -
MOTHERBOARD Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming
CPU AMD Ryzen 7 5800x
CPU COOLER Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX
RAM 32GB DDR4 G.Skill Ripjaw V
GPU #1 NVIDIA EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Black Gaming
GPU #2 NVIDIA MSI GTX 1650 Super Twin Frozer
SSD #1 Western Digital SN750 500 GB
SSD #2 Western Digital SN750 1 TB
HDD #1 Seagate 1 TB Hybrid
HDD #2 Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB

I’m not sure Virtual box supports GPU passthrough.

Try qemu / KVM, it should work fine. There is a guide on l1t which I will link in an edit.

Ah gotcha. Yeah wasn’t sure if Virtual Box did passthrough. Will work on getting QEMU set up now. Thank you.

This is my go to guide

Bit dated but the basics are there.

Thank you! Just a quick q? For grub, in my case since I have a AMD CPU, I’d put amd_iommu=on? Or is there something else?

Yes

Everything else should be the same but look out for differences in how and handles vt-d in your bios, on some motherboards you need to force on rather than auto.

Gotcha thank you. I did some reading and am trying to follow the guide on the arch wiki. I feel I am following everything correctly. Just at the moment there is one thing I am unsure of. It says to include both device ids in the kernel parameter at the dracut part… What exactly do I add with the kernel params? Would id just be ids=10de:13c2,10de:0fbb? Or would it be the vfio-pci.ids=10de:13c2,10de:0fbb? Still a little confusing. Though I feel overall I am following it better.

I got the part where it says run dmesg | grep -i vfio to verify the config works. When I run it all I get is
[ 0.000000] Command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-5.11-x86_64 root=UUID=5d19c570-09c8-49c2-acfa-347a61432fd9 rw quiet udev.log_priority=3 amd_iommu=on iommu=pt ids=10de:13c2,10de:0fbb rd.driver.pre=vfio_pci hugepages=2048 [ 0.064845] Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-5.11-x86_64 root=UUID=5d19c570-09c8-49c2-acfa-347a61432fd9 rw quiet udev.log_priority=3 amd_iommu=on iommu=pt ids=10de:13c2,10de:0fbb rd.driver.pre=vfio_pci hugepages=2048

I am extremely confused.

Edit - I ended up following some of this video, and now things are looking as that should be.

So following that video ended up doing it for me and I got the VM set up with windows installed. Just that at the moment the VM doesn’t have internet. Cant figured out how to get the internet to work.

1 Like

VM seems to be up and working well. Only issue I have no is my courser isn’t working with the VM now. Can’t seem to figure it out at the moment.

Did you solve this?

If not the solution is to add a virtio network adapter and then install the virtio drivers per:

https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/quick-docs/creating-windows-virtual-machines-using-virtio-drivers/

This may solve your mouse issue as well.

I redid my VM setup. I still can’t get the internet to work. The mouse issue is gone now. I think I followed the directions correctly. Not sure what else to do :frowning:.

What error do you get on the nic in device manage?

Oh man I am super late to replying to this I am sorry.

I can’t remember what the error was. It has been a bit now since I have tried to get the VM setup. At the moment I cannot get any Linux distro to work on my desktop. Not sure why. Nothing seems to work without issues. I prefer Manjaro and I just cant get it to boot into the live environment to install. Used to use the Manjaro Architect, though it is not available for download since it is not being maintained at the moment.