Nuclear powered cars

Pebble bed reactors. There was another one with a rod and a neutron source that moved along it and depleted it but a forget its name.

1 Like

nuclear power / nukes are a HOAX

HHO is the WAY

And back towards cars. It could be possible. There were nuclear powered pacemakers inside people for decades.

http://large.stanford.edu/courses/2015/ph241/degraw2/

Weather making a car with a power supply that will run its life span or one you have to fill up with energy is also a topic.

Who wants to buy a tesla that costs a few hundred thousand dollars because it will never need fuel only maintenance. Maybe only Uber and taxi companies.

Would make more sense to build a nuclear power supply into your home to power it, your car’s and bikes etc.

Then you start to hit solar roofing can do that. If you have a lot of roof.

I heard nuclear material is radioactive and can cause skin irritation… :slight_smile:

I’m all for nuclear power, as long as the device using it is designed properly in a safe way lol I’d drive a nuclear car if it were a thing

No one’s gonna put a nuclear reactor in a car, dude.

Never say never. Fleet cars that never stop to charge may benefit. It still a lot of cost up front.
Crash wise a car full of charged Li-Ion batteries is scary energy stored under your feet. Where a nuclear car would only be putting out a constant much lower power output and be heavy shielded.

curiosity-rover-nuclear-battery3

1 Like

You don’t normally have terrorists with screwdrivers and wrenches trying to make dirty bombs on the moon or mars… yet.

1 Like

It never got past the 1/2 scale model stage.

2 Likes

Getting fallout vibes here

1 Like

Not sure about the millions of dollars as if the Russian miniature reactors in cruise missiles cost so much you’d have to limit its use to nuclear ordnance . Perhaps they will be and also read the other day Satan 2 will have them but not sure why or if it’s true.

But what is true is when a kid lots of stuff was promised and never came to be . Remember a book I read when about 11 going into great detail on how we’d all be using driverless cars by the 80s.

I do not see any sources for the cost of the particular missile you are mentioning. Do you have a price figure for it?

For reference, a jet powered Tomahawk missile seems to come in around 1.4-1.8 million. Jet engines, I imagine, are far cheaper to build than nuclear reactors.

EDIT:spelling

Course I don’t and as far as I know it’s not in full production yet. Just assumptions , but whatever the cost it’ll be much less than if built by American defense companies.

I can imagine china making a nuclear truck. The US will flounder. The US do nothing less than make excuses to not do anything.

You seem focused on some misguided assumption that military tech has any bearing on civilian viability.

Cruise missiles don’t need to be safe.
Cruise missiles are on a one way trip
Cruise missiles do not have to be cost effective
Cruise missiles are not in the hands of random civilians who may or may not have an agenda against authority

Won’t deliver pizza any time soon.

Am more focused on the misguided promises of my childhood for the uses of nuclear energy. None of which came to be. Perhaps it was all propaganda bullcrap to enable nuclear weapons

ding ding

we have a winner.

A big reason we went for the Uranium fuel cycle instead of Thorium in bulk was to enable the nuclear arms race. If you can make the thorium fuel cycle work (and it was working in the 60s) then it is far more abundant, virtually impossible to weaponise, etc.

Propaganda isn’t just used by “the bad guys”. Every government does it, some are just either better at it than others or their citizens are more gullible. The worst thing in the world is to assume that your own government (whether you’re in the USA, the UK, Australia, India, Saudi Arabia, 1930s Germany, or wherever) is not spinning you propaganda - because they’re the ones who will have the biggest impact on your lifestyle.

Heaps of stuff out of hollywood is subtle propaganda. The whole point with propaganda is to not be obvious about it. “Obvious” propaganda is failed propaganda.

1 Like

Pretty much, and even today the USA strangleholds thorium reactor development with all sorts of misconceptions.

China has caught on however and plan to use thorium as their energy solution of the future, unfortunately their a fair bit behind in the tech as expected so we might not hear anything until another 10 years.

If the USA keeps making these bad decisions, it could end up 3rd world one day! (probably bring a few other countries with it)

3 Likes

China is not the only one looking at thorium, India is also doing some research and at some point had some plans of using thorium in power plants. Not sure if they are still pursuing those goals.