Ntoskrnl.exe is corrupt / windows 10 contiually booting into recovery mode

HI,

I have a problem with my Windows 10 installation which will now only boot into recovery mode.

I have tried all the options from recovery mode including trying to boot into safe mode to no avail.

I have run chkdsk and and various commands such as sfc /scannow.

The only clue I can find is in the log file srtTrail.txt where there is an entry stating ntoskrnl.exe is corrupt.

My PC has 3 drives with windows on its own drive.

This happened out of the blue the only thing that the computer was used differently was that my 11 Year old was using it for playing browser based games.

So not sure what if anything could of been downloaded or if he turned the PC off incorrectly or windows just did a failed update in the background.

Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Jon

Have you already tried the obligatory sfcscan /now thingy? I need to look up how to run this from recovery, but this should scan your base systemfiles and attempt repairs.
As the name states, ntoskrnl is you kernel. If it is corrupt and not recoverable, a reinstallation might be your only option.

Hi domsch1988,

Yes I have tried that but it completes with and error

“Windows Resource Protection could not perform requested operation”

I tried it on single file as well same result.

Then i’m sadly out of ideas. Other than bootloader i rarely invest time in fixing my Windows Installation. I just reinstall it every 4-8 weeks. So yeah, sorry i can’t be of more help to you.

:grinning: Yes I know what you mean with windows constant mess.

Thanks for your time