Notebook overheating issues

A while ago I noticed increased stuttering when watching Netflix on my dedicated Netflix notebook. When ssh’ing to while watching something the CPU is at 95°C, which is rather high (while clockspeed is at 900MHz). Thus, I assume it is thermal throttling. I also assume that the fans of the notebook are not running at maximum speed, because I am unable to hear them (even though they were noticeably loud a few months ago).

Unfortunately, fancontrol's pwmconfig doesn’t find any configurable fans. Any ideas on what to do?

Notebook:
Samsung s5 series
AMD A4-4355M APU with Radeon HD Graphics

CPU max MHz: 1900,0000
CPU min MHz: 1300,0000

Install lmsensors and run sensors-detect as root.
Just Y through everything.

1 Like

lmsensros didn’t detect anything related to fans. I dismantled the notebook and vacuumed it, now it doesn’t thermal throttle when runnging openssl speed. If it works on Netflix remains to be seen though.

The main problem is that this device won’t support current video standards in hardware.
So the CPU has to do some pretty heavy lifting.

1 Like

That might be true. Luckily, I’m getting a notebook with a A6 CPU from a friend of mine. I intend this A6 to replace my A4 as streaming notebook. (Until LibreELEC is able to play Netflix properly :wink: )

You most likely have dust and crud in your fans or air channels. Open up the laptop and blow all that stuff out. Check if the fans move freely, they may need to be replaced also.