Notebook needed, bad time to buy and platform considerations

I have heard good things about Tuxedo but I am in the USA and the cost with VAT and shipping has just never made sense for me. I am glad that you could find something that you could live with.

1 Like

You usually don’t pay the VAT when ordering from outside the country, but as soon as the package crosses your countrys border, your government wants their share. So you don’t pay twice the tax. But import+shipping+customs, especially in these times, isn’t easy mode. And RMA/Warranty can be even more trouble.

That’s why I didn’t even consider System76. You can’t get different keyboard layouts or power supply for your country either. Even Framework as a newcomer gets this right.

This wasn’t a better of two evils decision. I’m pretty sure I’ll have fun with it and get a lot of stuff done. But a 5800U or 5850U would have been the icing on the cake. Maybe Thunderbolt offers consolation :wink:

1 Like

Had an HP SB sourced laptop, many moons ago… They were built different

Backside had exposure points at 2 locations [1x 2.5in, 2x so-dimm slots]. Battery was replaceable [6cell] + bay was upgradable [9-cell support]. Was listed being Vista ready and came with upgrade disc [TF No-oohh, it WASN’T; 0 computer was/is/ever] – almost murdurred poor summb!tch. It supported W7 noticeably better [only had to pay ~50, for the disc through HPE], but XP would ultimately remain its optimal happy place. Played fine to Linux attempts, but was never ideal [chewed through battery quicker, even with lower spec’d Distros].

I doubt upgradeability / serviceable, being a thing at all nowadays, for the sake of that modern sleek/tidy presentation

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.