NordVPN hacked

1 Like

Wew lad

This is gonna be good.

Colour me entirely unsurprised.

Setting yourself up as a ā€œpublic vpn provider to protect your privacy onlineā€ raises a massive red flag to the NSA, criminals, etc. for obtaining data on ā€œinterestingā€ people (either in an illegal activity or blackmail potential way).

And yes, failure to disclose for ā€œseveral monthsā€ is inexcusable for a security company offering a privacy service.

Controversial opinion: Want to fly under the radar? Donā€™t do dumb/illegal shit online, or do it unencrypted with the rest of the unwashed masses (for petty misdemeanour stuff).

If youā€™re doing stuff that you really donā€™t want to be in the clear (e.g., secure comms), use proper encryption between trusted endpoints (e.g., ipsec, pgp, etc.).

Just curious, do people actually trust VPNā€™s with their data more then their ISPā€™s? I personally only use a VPN when Iā€™m on a public WiFi network because fuck that, but I wonā€™t use a VPN to log on to anything sensitive like my personal finances.

To be honest, Iā€™m somewhat happy this happened and I hope it throws some water on the trash fire that is ā€œVPNs protect your privacyā€. If you want to protect yourself against tracking, use uBlock and Privacy Badger. If you want actual privacy, use the Tor browser and disable JS.

I disagree. Shit gets hacked, sometimes due to negligence but sometimes due to pure bad luck. However, not disclosing in a reasonable time frame prevents the end users from taking action in a reasonable time to respond to potential new threats. In a low impact scenario, this would be rotating potentially compromised credentials, but more importantly users may need to move themselves out of harmā€™s way if they live in an area where what they say online can lead to physical harm.

Not relevant in this case, that vulnerability only matters in shared computing environments.

Zoz is great! He has some other talks as well, equally as fun to watch.

Eh, VPN providers act more as uncensored bridge to the internet than security companies.

Absolutely not.

1 Like

No big deal IMO. If they were under investigation or damning lawsuits then Iā€™d move.

VPNs to me add another layer of obfuscation. True privacy and security would include not using the internet haha.

1 Like

Yes.

You could ask for a refund, but hereā€™s the question: Does a minor breach that happened ages ago really make you not want to finish your pay period out?

I wouldnā€™t say theyā€™re any worse off than any of the other VPN providers out there, tbh.

1 Like

19 months is also way more than several months, its more than a year for fucks sake.

I donā€™t use them or really understand fully what happened, literally just woke up, still in bed, so not going to speculate but wow this does look real bad.

1 Like

On the flip-side in Australia, the maximum damages for end-user online copyright infringement is (IIRC, based on the ruling on some case that went to court a few years back) to pay for a copy of the content you stole, so the MPAA/RIAA has backed the fuck off as of late.

It just ainā€™t worth the legal fees for them to pursue an individual for say, $29 for a season of whatever. As opposed to the millions of dollars they typically try to sue individuals for in the states.

edit:
This isnā€™t legal advice, blahblah.

Ars reports 19 months.

Editā€¦

Over the weekend, the VPN biz tweeted a now-deleted boast that ā€œAinā€™t no hacker can steal your online life. (If you use VPN).ā€ In response, a hacker group calling itself KekSec revealed that some other miscreants had broken into one of the companyā€™s boxes, and leaked various files, including an OpenVPN configuration and associated private key.

Thatā€™s just fucking hilarious. But as always if you want the right answer on the internet the best way is to give to wrong answer and wait for the flood of corrections.

In this case the question being: Are you (nord) secure, they answered yes of course and then were proven quite wrong.

I still know fuck all about this but it is pretty funny.

1 Like

Sure. VPN companies advertise their services will protect their users privacy. They have a strong incentive not to sell them down the river, because that would destroy their business.

Your ISP, on the other hand, is a cable company. Nobody expects Comcast to give a crap about their customersā€™ privacy. Just the opposite, really.

Of course your technically based argument about VPNs not really doing much to protect privacy or anonymity is accurate, they just move your endpoint further away. My feeling is most people use them to evade work firewalls/monitoring and/or for piracy. They just canā€™t advertise ā€œSign up for NordVPN to safely pirate Game of Thrones!ā€

1 Like

Do nothing. Continue to use ā€¦ Always encrypt everything end to end!
Rotate servers to which you connect in a more random and systematic way. Try not to rely on one or more servers from a small pool. Rotation will always add a potentially smaller time vector and a smaller place vector as a threat to you if again some server would be exposed to penetration.

If you always connect to one and the same server then the time / place vector is very dangerous for the user if this server is the victim.
A loose example. Letā€™s say we have 96 servers. Instead of always connecting to only one, connect to all 96 randomly and change the server often. Every 15 minutes change your server to the next one, you will jump over 96 servers :slight_smile:
The higher the rotation, the better, although we speak here more in the context of paranoia.

I never trusted nord
Especially when this is how they do sponsors

4 Likes

Who do you trust? They are all very similar at the end of the day. This is business and a ton of BS ā€¦
And around the corner are multi-letter agencies and organized crime.

1 Like

Something about them rubbed me the wrong way. I donā€™t care about the advertising, but the way they came up seemed a bit odd.

Personally, I do not have nordvpn but even if they have something on their conscience, who will guarantee that others also have no sins.

Maybe itā€™s time for a triple tunnel ā€¦
You-PIA-NORD-Proton-TargetHost :upside_down_face:

Youā€™re hired.

615px-SevenMotherfuckingproxies

2 Likes