NOOB to Linux, My Ethernet is there but won't let me search the webs?

After typing in the second command you told me to type in I got an error saying connection activation failed but it did say the connection was successfully added

run nmcli c s it will show the connection status

Just gives me the name, UUID, Type and device

Something like this?

NAME       UUID                                  TYPE            DEVICE 
Ethernet1  5b088378-faf9-45d2-9218-a800a12fb287  802-3-ethernet  eno1

Yes exactly except the device name

run ping google.com
if that doesnt work run ping 8.8.8.8

Your network should be working.

can also check nmcli it should show the connection up in green and should have at least an ipv4 address (inet4)

Both haven't worked at all I got unknown host for google and for the 8.8.8.8 I got network is unreachable

can you post a picture of the output of nmcli

also did you edit the /etc/network/interfaces or did you leave it alone for now?

and yes I did edit it

oh it must be an older version of nmcli

try ip -c addr show

id suggest for now, unediting that file.

How would I restore it to what it was before?

remove the three lines you added and save it. I assume the other lines where there before.

I've removed those lines so I checked to see what was there after I removed it and nothing is there, is that okay?

Hm, ok its not getting an ipv4 address. Your other computers work fine?

To take a total stab in the dark at your network addressing try a static address

nmcli connection add type ethernet con-name eth-static ifname enp3s0 ip4 192.168.1.200/24 gw4 192.168.1.1
nmcli con mod eth-static ipv4.dns "8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4"
nmcli connection up eth-static

This might work assuming your routers ip is the same as the gw address i put 192.168.1.1

If you have another computer, you can check on that first.

yeah should be fine

Basically it's one machine with two drives so duel boot, my windows drive works fine but it's just the Linux one with the internet problems but I'll have a crack at what you said

Its just some config or something somewhere on the linux machine has messed it up a bit should be fixable its just finding where the issue is.

the logs might also give a hint but they can be a bit hard to decipher

journalctl -xb -p 1..4 -u NetworkManager

thats basically saying get the logs from the last boot with the type 1-4 (all error types but not not info types) for the service NetworkManager. you can remove -p 1..4 if you need more info

That worked what you told me to do and above it shows the two arrows own facing up and one facing down and I tried to ping 8.8.8.8 but I just get destination host unreachable

I can just see looking at the logs there is a lot of activation failed and request timed out

if your getting unreachable it might be becuase the gw is wrong. try ping 192.168.1.1 and try ping 192.168.1.254