Noob Storage Question

Seems like to buy more than 4T/device at a reasonable price one is still stuck with HDD?

Maybe a PCIE Card with NVME slots?

If I don’t want a NAS solution, but want to attach to a new AM5 motherboard what are my options? USB 3.2 20gb?

If NAS is the right answer what does low-end NAS look like? Just want storage don’t care about raid.

Guessing 8T SSD/m.2 is being strategically delayed which means I am building a NAS outside the new machine with HDDs?

So I start with something like this?

All those things you mentioned are possible…

How much storage do you need?
Do you care about latency?
Do you care about throughput?
Do you have a total budget, or a total and per terabyte budget?
What’s your use case and which OS?

e g. There are also external USB 3.2 10Gbps enclosures that’ll fit several HDD … and there’s also raid cards and backplanes you could use to stuff your am5 system with dozens of 870 qvo sata drives.

1 Like

Linux. Going to run 7950X pass through for Windows usages.

Latency not a huge issue, but it seems like orders of magnitude slower to drop to SATA?

Probably only need 8T storage. Buying an HDD will not fit into an mITX case. But if I am spending $800 two 4T NVME drives, and alternatively I can buy a 16TB HDD for $200 seems like I might as well build a reasonably fast external enclosure or a NAS with the difference. NVME prices seem unlikely to enable even $400 8T sticks in the next 12 months.

Interested to learn about all possible solutions. Pointers to guides extremely welcome.

Build your own NAS and stop being a pussy. You can get an old PC, a tower of some kind. Chuck a couple of hard drives in it. Get one of those three packs of USB3 drives. Make one the TrueNAS core installer, use the other two as mirrored OS drives, TrueNAS Installer offers you this. Once installed set your couple of hard drives or more as the ZFS storage and away you go.

Having an actual file server separate from your computer allows you to abuse your computer without risk of losing your data. You never touch your file server, leave it alone, it does not need to be interfered with. It will run for months without a reboot and years without a problem.

There are some great deals on ebay for old SAS dives which you will need a card for or keep things simple and just buy two huge SATA drives.

Do it now, stop thinking about it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.