Nokia 3.1 Psycho review

INTRO
So some times ago my trusty old Sony Xperia E4 decided it’s tired and old and don’t want to work anymore. So now the phone speaker and both cameras aren’t working. Also sometimes the phone itself just dies out of nowhere. So I was in urgent need of a new phone.
Thanks to the forum I have reached the conclusion I can’t quite afford a decent Xperia phone and have to go with something else. That something else turned out to be Nokia 3.1.
Since both my cameras of my old phone aren’t working I can’t show any “real” pictures of the phone.

Dry stats:

Dimensions 146.3 x 68.7 x 8.7 mm (5.76 x 2.70 x 0.34 in)
Weight 138.3 g (4.87 oz)
Display 5.2 inches, 69.8 cm2 (~69.4% screen-to-body ratio)
IPS 720 x 1440 pixels, 18:9 ratio (~310 ppi density)
OS Android 8.0 (Oreo); Android One
Chipset Mediatek MT6750 (28 nm)
CPU Octa-core (4x1.5 GHz Cortex-A53 & 4x1.0 GHz Cortex-A53)
GPU Mali-T860MP2
Card slot microSD, up to 256 GB
Internal memory 16 GB, 2 GB RAM
Camera 13mp back, 8mp front
Battery Non-removable Li-Ion 2990 mAh battery

First impressions:
So I got the phone. They gave me a choice between white body and the one I got - the dark blue body with copper accenting. I looks quite good. It’s aluminum, so it feels nice in the hand.
It’s taller and narrower than the Xperia I had before that…
I started touching it and surprise surprise, it’s much faster and snappier than the good old Sony. Apps that struggled before don’t struggle anymore. It’s lightning fast and I love that.

Software:
The phone came clean as a tear drop.
That’s all there is - chrome, google play, youtube, maps, gmail… Basic google apps you expect. No unneeded software.
No settings done what so ever. Everything is open and is waiting for you to tell it what to do. In my case - waiting for me to tell it what to do and frustrate me with 50 notiffications a nanosecond.

Box and accessories:
Basic. Very basic.

Positives:

• It looks good, it feels good to use. The screen is nicely bright, so it is fine using it outside.
  • It’s really fast, especially compared to my old phone.
  • And the battery. Oh, the battery. If I save it a bit I can go 2 days with 1 charging. If I push it - day max. But I try to save it cause I don’t want to constantly keep it on the charger.
  • The camera is weird. It shifts the colors. Noticeably shifts the colors. The food I usually take pictures of for the forum looks different in my plate. The old Sony shifted colors as well, but still the pictures looked somehow similar. It’s much cleaner image wise, but the color shifting is weird.
  • The Android is clean and virgin, waiting for the user to pop it’s cherry. And honestly that’s kinda issue I have with it. There is absolutely no software on it, other than the absolute bare minimum.

Negatives:

• There is nothing on the phone. No music player, no screenshot tool, no anything. People call that bloatwear or whatever, but TBH I kinda miss it. Sony put on some basic software I actually used.
  • No settings were done what so ever. Everything possible that needs setting up was thrown at me in the first 20 minutes. I don’t even know how I set up some stuff. I just told it not to bother me anymore. Sony put up some work to do the tedious basic set up so I can just use the thing.
  • Something I have noticed - you know phones adjust their screen brightness according to surrounding light? Yeah, all fine, but this one does it weirdly. It darkens the screen momentarily, so when I’m swiping and my hand covers the sensor, the screen darkens, and it takes it couple seconds to increase the brightness, so I have about 2 seconds time where I can’t really see much of the screen. It’s weird.
  • The sound… Oh god the sound… The music sounds so awful. I’m using the same files form the same SDcard and using the same headphones, and the sound is atrocious. Not to mention the stock headset that comes with the phone - pure garbage. Such garbage. Setting up stuff is only an issue once. The sound I am stuck with. The sony headset that came with the Xperia was so much better than my current headphones and my current headphones are so much better than the Nokia headphones. It hurts my ears to listen to music on the Nokia, knowing how it sounded on the Xperia with the Sony headphones.

Final words:
So basically things are simple:
If you want clean android and don’t plan to listen to music on the phone - it’s lightning fast and very nice to use. But I listen to music almost constantly and I am so sad. I’m sorry, Nokia, but for my next phone I will try and get Sony again.

8 Likes

Would be good opportunity to test if like LineageOS would improve things because have gotten picture that phone camera is mostly software, and audio could be some Nokia’s attempt which makes it worse

Soo… maybe, would it be too much hassle to test?

Do some pre post pictures from bathroom as its isolated and always the same

2 Likes

I don’t really want to do that. I don’t know what I’m doing with phones in general. I don’t want to try to install a new OS and brick the thing. It’s just about a week old.

See, Sony probably had better one on theirs… I miss Sony…

1 Like

I’m just remembering someone saying that Google pixel had best phone camera although spec wise its worse

I’d like to replace my OnePlus X with more new bluetooth version, and dont care about other specs

2 Likes

Honestly I don’t really mind the camera. I am just noting it, cause I have noticed the color shifting.
My biggest issue is the sound…

PS: I don’t even remember the last time I used bluetooth…

Thanks for doing the Review Pete, always good to get things from this type of Perspective instead of the typical youtuber one.

I would argue this is a plus, all of that software is easily available in the play store, but there’s (almost) no software that you don’t need, that you can’t uninstall.

I would turn off auto-dimming and adjust brightness manually.

Did you try the equaliser?

2 Likes

Yup. That doesn’t help… Low quality sound won’t get better just because I boosted the base a bit. It is really bad…

Hmmm, according to notebook check

Analog audio performance over the 3.5-mm headphone jack was decent and capable of producing high-quality audio with the right equipment.

1 Like

Go into settings and find the sounds options, the go to advanced options and look for something called sound optimization or similar, turn that off and see if it helps.

1 Like

There is only one thing that couldn’t really be what you mean. It’s sound enhancement and it’s boost from the phone speaker. Not really the headphones…

Did you try turning that off?

Yup… It’s the same… I can still run the music on the old phone. The Sony is just producing massively better sound.

Can you give me a screenshot of your sound settings?

I need to download and install a screenshot app or something… The phone doesn’t have one…

Click volume down + power button simultaneously to take a screenshot.

1 Like

…why? Google,are you OK? Last time around when I hold the power button I had turn off, restart and take screenshot. Now I must turn down my volume to do that …
That’s bulshit.

There should also be a “screencapture” feature in your quick settings panel.

Might sound silly, but did you plug the headphone jack all the way in?
Some phones might have a hard last 0.1mm where you have to push it extra to get it all the way in.

Also where is your equaliser settings located?

In the player. The phone came with none, I looked for the one Sony uses on the Xperia. I couldn’t find it so I just installed one with rating over 4…
It’s a basic eq with 5 frequency settings and nothing special. As usual Jazz preset sounds the best to me, so I set that.

Yup, I checked… I listen to music every day on that thing…

Does your headphones happen to have an inline volume control?

How to answer you, when I don’t even know what you asked me?