No USB on UEFI Linux Live boot

Hey guys I am having a major problem installing Linux. So I had it working but I am trying to reinstall after changing everything to UEFI instead of BIOS. When I boot into every distro from a GPT/UEFI Linux live USB flashed with Rufus I don’t have any USB at all. No keyboard or mouse or anything. My board is the Asus Pro WRX80-SAGE SE WIFI so it only has USB 3 and I can’t simply use USB 2 ports instead. Before it gets to the installer it says xhci_hcd init fail. I have tried every variation of the CSM settings. I have secure boot disabled. I have tried every variation of IOMMU and ACS settings as I was told this may help. I have tried reflashing the USB with different formats. I have tried disabling USB 3.1. I have tried every USB port. I have tried using 2.0 keyboard and mouse as well as 3.0. I have tried 2.0 installer USBs as well as 3.0
All of these did nothing. I am completely out of ideas and am desperate for help. I am open to any and all suggestions.

More background: I am trying to install a KVM VFIO build and I can’t do anything at all until I have this first step working. The distro I am mainly focused on is Xubuntu 22.04 with kernel 5.15 so I can use the ZFS on root installer but this same error happens with every distro. I have tried Kubuntu, Manjaro, Ubuntu, Arch and even more. All have this issue. I also tried Xubuntu 22.10. No luck. Also I have a Windows install running so this will be a dual-boot until I can get into Linux and pass-through the Windows drive to a KVM. I don’t know if that changes anything.

Seems that others have been successful:

1 Like

My VGA switch is already off. How do I edit the GRUB file for a live install disk? I’ve never heard of that

The boot loaders usually prompt you to hit E or Ctrl-E at the first menu screen, before the usual 5 second countdown right after the BIOS/EFI hand-over.

Or you can mount your USB bootable drive on another system and search for the grub-efi.conf file (or similar, syslinux.cfg was previously more common), and edit the options there.

1 Like

Enabling SR-IOV and disabling the BMC switch did it!!! I have no idea how or why but it worked. Thank you so much! This community has saved my a** ten times over I swear. Love you guys

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.