No partition help please

they have to be in their original enclosure

thank you very much for all of your help. I really appreciate it. I will hook them up back to the adapters and rerun photorec.

1 Like

@Adubs this last try seems to have worked! the file names are all messed up as expected but im recognizing files. what are my next steps? want to thank you again for all the help

1 Like

copy the files you want to another location?

These files are being read from the secondary drive where photorec wrote the files to. Should I check the original drive? Do I have to go through every file to name them/find out what they are? I recognize some but not all. Once again they are a little bit weird file formats.

Also the size it is taking up on the secondary drive doesnā€™t seem to be correct. Iā€™m pretty sure this 2tb was halfway filled. And on this secondary drive it seems to have only written 200gb. I donā€™t think it recovered everything.

Some stuff may not be recoverable. Iā€™m not the person to ask about what.you can do to try to recover more at this point. I have done this on occasion and almost never had any issues with what was recovered.

Maybe someone else with more experience can chime in here.

thank you for all of your help, i really appreciate it.

what should i be expecting? the same file formats but not labeled properly or what?

1 Like

The filenames might be messed up but there might also be corruption.

1 Like

if the file names are messed up it may not be a lost cause but you may have to check each file manually.
i know the old undelete process would recover files but usually the first and sometimes second character in the file name was different and often it was a matter of renaming them.
I agree with adubs copy those files to a different location or drive to work on.
trying to work on those files on a problematic drive will just be more of a headache

this is a primary reason we run frequent backups. Keeping adequate backups nearly eliminates the need for rescue software (not completely though)

I am working on the files on a different drive. All of the names are crazy and the file types as well. I have opened a few files and recognize them once opened but that is very few out of the bunch. Also it was about 1tb of data and the space that it has taken up is only 200gb on a different drive

Now that I have seen what some of the recovered files are(all coming back to me) i really want to recover them since it was only a user error and not hardware failure. I really want to recover these files even though they are necessary to recover.

what you might have to do is set up different directories and place files by type into the labeled folders
once this is done you can concentrate on specific file types but Im afraid you have a lot of work ahead of you
concentrate on the file types you need by their extension (jpg, office types .etc)

because deletion process removes headers recovery often scrambles names by inserting random characters in the place of the missing letters
its a tedious process to sort and rename the files into something that makes more sense
but youā€™ve been able to recover 1/5th of the data that was on the old drive and thatā€™s still a lot!
ivā€™e done it with smaller drives(100 gig) to recover evidence so i donā€™t envy you the task
if you are getting colour bands or machine characters the file is corrupted but possibly has data scattered amidst other files.
all i can do is wish you luck!

1 Like