No Man's Sky: Disastrous Launch

https://www.gog.com/game/no_mans_sky

I'm not going to post any shady links, you can find the torrent pretty easily.

1 Like

GTAV for the PC.

It was well worth the wait.

1 Like

Awesome, why is it DRM free, makes it so easy to get illegally?

It does make it easy to pirate for sure. They may have decided to make it drm free so people can play it offline.

1 Like

Well i will try it out, if I like it I will pay, because I'm that kinda guy ;)

1 Like

It wasn't only hype. The dude promised all sorts of things in interviews.
Watch the angry joe review of it.

http://onemanslie.info/

So I made a blog post about this. I'll copy paste it here, but in case you wanna read it there, links below.

My super late to the party opinion on the debacle that is No Man's Sky.

No Man' Sky is fun... for about 8-10 hours. After that it's not bad, but... (and I'm not going to go into all the reasons why as everything has already been said by everyone else on the internet)... but the game is not what we were told it was going to be.

There are only two possibilities. Either Sean Murray was completely full of shit, or something disastrous happened during the development. If the latter, they should really do a press release of some sort to give some kind of explanation why there is SO MUCH missing out of the game. If they don't give some sort of explanation, Hello Games is finished. Or at very best, they will forever be known as "That one indie developer that's full of shit", and that's not going to be good for them.

The hype behind this game was too large to ignore the backlash that's happening. It needs to be publicly addressed to save face. Not saying that will happen, but it should.

My own 100% speculative theory with no evidence to back it up what so ever. When No Man's Sky was first unveiled at the Video Game Awards, the only platform that was announced was PS4. Later they said it would be coming to PC "Eventually" but they didn't know when at the time. Point being, I think this was originally going to be a PS4 exclusive.

The hype reached over 9000 immediately after that very first trailer. Sean Murray's interviews were filled with bashfulness and silly shy grins. You couldn't help but like this adorable little indie dev guy making this huge impressive game. EVERYONE was talking about it. You can bet Sony heard the noise and they probably became extremely invested in the development and release of this game. I have a feeling Sony pressured Sean Murray into releasing the game before it was finished in order to capitalize on the hype and get as much sales as possible. Development was taking to long, and Sony didn't want a Duke Nukem Forever on their hands. Also Star Citizen is presumably right around the corner (hahahahaha...I know) and Elite Dangerous is forever growing and evolving with each content update. These are games that are not only more impressive than No Man's Sky, but also scratch the same exact itch that No Man's Sky was scratching. They had to get the game out.

The End.

http://www.geekmaxreview.com/2016/08/hello-hello-games-we-need-to-have-talk.html

2 Likes

has a patch even been released yet for the game?

how much RAM is the game and how much system RAM do you have?

The whole game is like 2 or 3 gigs
My system has oodles of ram to spair tho

Hmmm not sure if i can make that work on 16GB system ram total but ill give a shot and see

1 Like

Best of luck.

Multiple patches have been released for both PS4 and PC. I'm playing on PS4, and as of Sunday (last patch) I was still crashing occasionally and still having a lot of the same glitchy problems, like bouncing up into orbit immediately after launch from planet surface.

I swear to God that I was the first one on the web to say No Man's Buy.

ah okay, thanks for the info

How transparent was No-Man's sky in development as opposed to Star Citizen.

I've been living under a rock, so I didn't know what No Man Sky was about. However I do know of Star Citizen and am tracking their progress from a far and I feel very excited for that one. I'm assuming it's highly unlikely SC would be as much of a disaster. I think SC's weakness could be they are trying to do too much, but they seem to be able to deliver.

I last watched a demo of a ship transitioning seamlessly from space to a planets surface and similar things like moving in and out of ships. As a programmer that got me excited.

One site actually did post fix testing:
From overclock3d.net:
"Over the past 24 hours, two patches have been released on PC, one which was 20.7MB and another which was around 60MB. After these two patches, the game has seen some significant performance improvements removing the game's random hitching issues and drastically improving the game's performance on AMD GPUs."
That last sentence makes me wounder......mmmmm?
and:

Linux did not happen so far and I don't know if it ever will but I still have a PS4 here collecting dust and I found the PS4 version for 25,- bucks. With the foundation update out I am just to curious to not try it out at this point.

Necro, I know. But it is a thing again with the update and I still believe that the overall attitude towards this game might change over time. And it would be nice to have it all in one thread.

2 Likes

It would be nice to eventually see the game develop into the amazing title it was touted as since 2013. They're gonna need to get rid of the walled-off procedural generation, and make a multiplayer platform. It can still have the proc-gen stuff, but ffs they need multiplayer. And actual enemies to fight, and an actual storyline. And a flight system that doesn't pull you back from the ground like an overreaching parent.

This was a game made almost solely by mathematicians and sound engineers. They need to add some people to their team who actually know how to make a setting, backstory, plot, etc, because right now its non-cohesive excuse for a storyline looks like it was written by a 5-year-old.

1 Like