No Man's Sky: Disastrous Launch

Most OpenGL games will run great under Linux, even under Wine.

this engine would gain amazing performance on vulkan/dx12

rasterized split textures, async computing...
so far biggest issue is full-screen and fxaa (fxaa is known from issues like what people posted)

Definitely stealing that analogy for future use!

1 Like

some pics

5 Likes

Its super crapy that day one PC release isn't doing so hot since this game looks like it has alot of potential. Im looking to run the band wagon on this game but i think ill wait until it a patch or 2 comes out looks like such a badass game.

To be honest, this game was under my radar due to how vague the developers were about what player can actually do in the game. With that vagueness, people are going to fill in the blanks and put their own interpretation of what it is about, via their imagination. With their imagination, they're thinking of No Man's Sky as the perfect game.

Not buying into the hype, I was hoping it would be a fun exploration game and would pick up the game maybe half a year later (I don't ever pay $60 for a digital PC game, especially at launch). Now, with performance issues, I really do not want to look at this game. Like seriously, you have to restart your game in order to change the video settings? What PC game have you ever played that required that? Freaking incompetence I am seeing.

1 Like

well their last upate broke the fucking game for me
happens on fullscreen
happens on borderless mode
does not happen windowed

go team retard.
2 Likes

It currently works fine for me but that may only take time!

Anyway the vid Worthabuy just posted amused me because I agree with most of it just couldn't communicate quite as well :)

I'll try to keep playing today but it's gonna be hard :)

1 Like

Devs pushed a beta hotfix overnight, and it seems to have improved the performance (for my setup at least) somewhat. It is "playable" now. At least it was while I was still on my first planet. Then I went off the planet, found a space station and as soon as I hopped back into my ship to take off the station my fps tanked to about 9-10 fps! Rebooted the game and it's back to normal, well, normal for this unoptimized shit. After the beta patch it hovers about 30-35 fps, with dips to 25. But weirdly it feels a lot smoother than before. There does not seem to be much stuttering as before.

Now they'll have to improve it further and fix a whole bunch of other bullshit: can't seem to rebind the controls, I mean I can rebind them but they won't stick; Can't use mouse side buttons at all which I always use for "interaction" and "sprint"; get rid of that horrible hold button mechanic; reduce the limit where that god damn annoying "low life support" message pops up (75% is low, according to NMS); reduce the number of drone spawns (seriously I can't mine any large object without that annoying flying shit pestering me); fix mouse sensitivity setting which currently does fuck all - have to actually change the dpi on my mouse.

So far, after the beta patch I am actually enjoying the game, even though the framerate is still garbage. Love the art style. Love ship designs, and weapon (multitool) designs. I like exploring. Hell, I've put in about 100 hours or so into Starbound, where I mostly explored and crafted upgrades. No Man's Sky feels very similar, aside of course from the 2D perspective and full environment manipulation.

2 Likes

No Man's Sky is so unstable, the instability has instability.

2 Likes

Wouldn't that mean that it has moments of stability?

Well, if you take out "un" out of unstable its practically a stable game. (¬‿¬)

i just installed the game in a ramdisk
works just fine

1 Like

new name ideas... ( I heard most of these from game critics )

• no man's buy
  • no man's lie
  • no man's cry
  • no man's grind
  • no man's sham
  • no man's pie in the sky

Got any more?

1 Like

No man's sigh...

3 Likes

I fail to understand how this game got the hype it did. Maybe it's because when I buy something I research the product so I know exactly what I'm getting.

I will admit it got me interested when the first trailer came out but after a few interviews with vague answers on features it set off alarm bells for me and I rapidly lost interest.

After putting about 30 in, yep, I'm fucking bored of it! I have unlocked all of the upgrades and simply need to grind enough money for the best ship. But then what? Nice visuals and an open world can only do so much for me. This game is very "dry", like a game engine demo, there's just no actual substance in it.

where? links?