No internet using multiple routers

I have 2 routers. Unfortunately can’t make either an AP as both have stuff connected to their lan ports.

I have R1 hooked up to the fibre optics and has the LAN ip of 192.168.100.1.
Then i have another router connected to R1’s Lan1 to R2’s Wan port.
R2s wan ip is set to be 192.168.100.2. It’s own subnet is 192.168.0.x
R2 has R1 as its default gateway.
I can ping R1 when connected to R2 and vice versa but there is no internet passing through.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

• what type of internet connection
  • what brand/model of routers
  • what are you actually attempting to achieve with these routers in this configuration?

I have the one router in the main part of the building and i have R2 in my personal office that i want separate from the rest. So i just want to be access the internet from both but still keep my office devices off the home network.

R1 is a Huawei HG8045H
R2 is a D’link dir 842

R1 is connected to a fibre line.

Is R2 DHCP server up and running?
What might be happening is you are trying to double nat with the same IP which may cause some oddities.

This is something that would require a bit of playing around but I would attempt anyways.

R1 should be set as your main
DHCP Server on
UPnP on or off, up to you.

R2
DHCP Off
UPnP Off
Set the Default gateway with 192.168.100.1

Plug R2 into R1 both via LAN ports.

That might work for you.

Reading is hard…
Is R2 getting it’s WAN IP via DHCP or did you set it statically?

What I stroke out above, you should be able to use the D-Link’s LAN ports as extra to your main subnet btw.

I have no experience with the specific routers in question, but given they are consumer grade (and thus, the firmware is likely to be total trash tier code), there’s every possibility (that would totally not surprise me at all) that either device (or possibly even both) is hard coded to not permit return traffic with a source address on the private ranges (10/8, 192.168.0.0/16, etc.) to arrive on the WAN port, as an anti IP address spoofing measure. Because SECURITY (albeit coded badly).

Sure, that sounds dumb, but the consumer router world is full of firmware brain damage - that the typical end user will never encounter until you step outside of the typical use case (and your use case here is definitely outside of the limited scope for most end users).

Maybe try swap them so that router 1 is router 2 and router 2 is router 1?

Another possibility, if IPv6 is in play is that one or more of the routers is sending IPv6 router advertisements out and you’re ending up with a routing loop somehow. If either router is ipv6 aware, try disabling ipv6 entirely for the time being in order to prevent that possibility.

1 Like

Had to set it statically cause it wasn’t getting it on it’s own. Thro was saying that i might be just cause they trash tier routers which checks out.

I’ll do some testing with the IPV6 settings. I remember reading someone had that issue so will see.
Unfortunately can’t switch the arrangement cause of the fibre connection is only on the HG8045H. Which is of course the ISP provided turd.

Is there any money to buy more appropriate equipment? Ideally, you’d have 1 router, a switch or 2 and maybe a simple vlan config.

1 Like

If it’s a Qualcomm chipset version of D-Link 842 rev c1 , (the one with a qca9563 chipset) then it might be possible to make a port of openwrt for it.

This would be technically possible in that case, but might be too much of an adventure.

Btw I don’t see why double Nat shouldn’t work, can you post traceroute output

1 Like

I don’t see a reason why though, I have an old DIR-615 and an old Asus RT-N56u that I use for testing and have no issue with using my internal network for WAN, it really depends on configuration.

It it might be a broken DNS configuration to begin with if no internet is passing through but he can ping R1.

@axees
Have you tried going to https://1.1.1.1 from R2, since that is basically an IP only address, a DNS server wouldn’t be queried.

have you tried having the same subnet and turning off DHCP on R2?

bridge mode if R2 has it.

They need to be on different subnets according to OP:

@axees do home and office need to be isolated from each other (not be able to connect to each other at all) and only share the WAN connection? Or do you just want them on different broadcast domains?

i understand this, what i would like to know is if the network functions when the second router is on the same subnet?

1 Like