No Audio Devices Found

So I’ve got a Dell XPS 9560 running openSUSE Tumbleweed with pipewire-pulseaudio installed. At first everything was great, but then at some point I ran prime-select nvidia and when I restarted, my audio devices were gone, and KDE says “No Audio Devices Found”. Running prime-select intel doesn’t bring them back.

USB audio works fine, it’s just the on-board speakers and headphone jack.

running sudo lspci -nnv gives me this for the audio controller:

00:1f.3 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation CM238 HD Audio Controller [8086:a171] (rev 31) (prog-if 80)
    Subsystem: Dell Device [1028:07be]
    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 32, IRQ 17
    Memory at ed128000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
    Memory at ed100000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
    Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 3
    Capabilities: [60] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
    Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
    Kernel modules: snd_hda_intel

So the system sees the controller and loads the driver. Running sudo fuser -v /dev/snd/* outputs:

/dev/snd/seq: colin 1986 F.... pipewire

Running alsamixer shows this:

At this point I’m pretty lost. I think maybe it’s related to the HDMI audio out from the 1050 chip in here, because like I said, selecting the Nvidia is what caused the issue to begin with, and because USB audio still works.

Any help of what to investigate would be appreciated?

I had something like that happen when my monitor decided to take audio from the GPU instead of onboard sound being outputted to speakers/headphones, had to reset alsamixer and everything went back to normal–afterwards had to make sure the onboard sound was “default”.

Did you do anything specific to reset alsamixer, that you can recall?

I followed a tip on both Debian & Ubuntu which someone said to end the process of Pulse Audio(it’ll restart itself) and then a command to reset Alsamixer. Pulse Audio should restart itself after Alsamixer inputs are reset.
My issue was on a desktop but I think HDMI issue impacts anyone who doesn’t want to use the built-in speakers on a monitor/TV if they have speakers/headphones. I’ve only had this happen on GeForce based systems, never seen the analog audio get hijacked by HDMI on AMD Radeon IGP/dGPU.

Here is the link:
Is there another way to restart the sound system if pulseaudio/ALSA don’t work? - Ask Ubuntu

See what sound devices alsa thinks you have, and make sure it’s unmuted and volume is non-zero while you’re there:

cat /proc/asound/cards
alsamixer    # Hit F6 to select card

See what sound devices pulseaudio thinks you have, and use the NAME from the first command to set the default audio output device:

pacmd list-sinks
pactl set-default-sink $NAME